Denon 3808 vs NAD T747 vs Marantz SR6003

Midnight

Hey guys. Im looking at getting a new avr for my HT. i can get a Denon AVR-3808CI for $200 or a NAD T747 for $300 & the Marantz SR6003 for $250. I am running klipsch r28f for front left and right and klipsch centre speaker R25C. And for my side surrounds and rear surrounds im running klipsch RP-250S.

This will be used for 99% movies and 1% music. 

Im currently running a Marantz nr1602 and im a little worried about the amount of power it has.

I dont need atmos or dtsx. Just the standed DTSHD MA & TRUE HD i live in Australia so getting new up-to-date avr's is just too expensive.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Midnight
Add Marantz SR6003

Midnight,

Welcome to the forum.

For mainly music, I would go for the NAD.  For more modern features for HT(2008) and "more power", I would go with the Denon.

Don't be too caught up in the higher "power" numbers of the Denon or Marantz, the NAD is rated lower but it performs much higher than it's pay grade.

https://www.soundandvision.com/receivers/708denon3808

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr6003-av-receiver

https://www.soundandvision.com/receivers/nad_t_747_av_receiver

Truthfully, if all mentioned AVRs are functioning properly, you really can't go wrong with either of them for their prices.

Bill

I have that Denon its a great unit.  i got mine for 200 a year ago and have seen them offered as low 150.

its perfect and works amazingly with great build quality

it is not 4k so if your tv is i would steer elsewhere

it uses audyssey xt not xt32 but now that i have used both i wouldnt be concerned with that

i cant comment on the others i havent used them

6 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I have that Denon its a great unit.  i got mine for 200 a year ago and have seen them offered as low 150.

its perfect and works amazingly with great build quality

it is not 4k so if your tv is i would steer elsewhere

it uses audyssey xt not xt32 but now that i have used both i wouldnt be concerned with that

i cant comment on the others i havent used them

I use 4k but no atmos or dtx. I just hook the oppo up to the tv and have the audio going to the avr. All i want is better sound for my movies. The music i listen to on this system is just background music.

For movies only would the denon beat the nad?

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

For movies only would the denon beat the nad?

Hard for me to say.  I have been thoroughly pleased with my NAD T175HD pre/pro for the last 5 years and before that the NAD flagship T-773 AVR.  Both have been fantastic for music and movies.

I have never owned any Denon AVRs.

Bill

2 hours ago, willland said:

Hard for me to say.  I have been thoroughly pleased with my NAD T175HD pre/pro for the last 5 years and before that the NAD flagship T-773 AVR.  Both have been fantastic for music and movies.

I have never owned any Denon AVRs.

Bill

Thanks bill

How does nad sound with klipsch?

Rambling, biased experience: 

I had a Denon 3808 several years ago.  It did it's job with some Mirage bookshelf speakers, DefTech promonitors, Polk Audio SDA,  B&W 110i, and more I rolled through.  Always sounded decent to my ears.  I had some Klipsch KG3.5 roll through and the Denon was pretty lifeless with them.  Even my precious little NAD 2155 sounded dull with them (maybe it was the adcom preamp letting me down?  I dunno every other speaker I ever played through that little 55wpc rocked).  I just assumed then that the KG3.5 were crap, or in need of some refreshed caps.  I had an old, low end Yamaha AVR sitting around so why not. I hooked it up to the KG3.5 and they snapped to life and ROCKED my face off.  No idea why this cheap Yamaha had the best synergy with the KG3.5.  I don't even remember the model, it was a cheap craigslist grab for $50. 

Fast forward a decade. I now have a set of Forte II powered by NAD C372 - wow sounds incredible.  My RF-7II are going through Yamaha Aventage 860 (soon to be 3070) powered by Outlaw 5000 amp.  Also wow.  

I had gone through 2 other Denons before the 3808 with a similar experience.  It's a great company, well built and thought out gear but never quite what I wanted.  My limited experience doesn't mean much, but that's how choices get made for me.  That's why I'm buying another Yamaha and punting the 860 to the garage to replace the 760 I gave to my Mom :D  I'm also invested in the interface and musiccast. I'm used to it now and don't want to change.  

Because of that bias I've developed, if it was my choice, I'd look hard at the NAD or the Marantz (even though same company as Denon now).  I had some reliability issues with a little NAD receiver I had years ago, not sure how they are now.  I love their amps. But because of that,  I'd probably hone in on that Marantz.   Marantz is known to have a more rich, warm sound than Denon.  In my case I'd be looking at the Marantz SR7012 if I wasn't so hooked on Yams.

My mild anti Denon bias could have simply been setup issues, user error, or maybe my 3808 needed some work done.  Whatever the case, it was just a bit dull to me.  I dunno.  Many own and love Denon receivers.  

I agree with others, you can't really go wrong with any of the 3 you're looking at.

Thanks guys. The bloke im getting the denon from has offered my a trial in home. Said if i dont like it i can just return it. So im going to pick up the denon if that dont work out i think ill give the nad a go. Thanks for your help guys 👍

Ill write my thoughts on the denon here after ive tried it for a bit.

Edited by Midnight

59 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Thanks guys. The bloke im getting the denon from has offered my a trial in home. Said if i dont like it i can just return it. So im going to pick up the denon if that dont work out i think ill give the nad a go. Thanks for your help guys 👍

Ill write my thoughts on the denon here after ive tried it for a bit.

Geez, I've been listening to my  X-4000 for 3 years and still haven't figured it out.

JJK