low Center inquiry

haydukej

I've pieced together what I hear is a decent, mix-matched HT. My LRs are 78' La Scalas and ideally I would acquire a 3rd for the center; however, I went for the biggest screen I could fit which is 120" and that is limiting my height for a center. I'm currently using a RC-35 and RF-25 for surrounds. Now for my wondering with room treatments being equal.

• Suppose I could get a good deal on a RP-450C. Would this be a better match than the RC-35 for the LSs? 
  • I assume a single Heresy would be better timbre matched, but would it be your choice out of all the center options?
  • Or would holding out for an RC-64/ii be the best option. 

Thanks, Justin

• Moderators

Hey Justin,

The Heresy would be the next best center if you cannot accommodate a third LaScala. 

Reference speakers have completely different drivers and sound quality as the LaScalas which would not make them the best fit.

I think I have about 26 inches from floor to frame of the screen, so a belle is a no go. A heresy should just fit with a bit to spare. For a moment I was wondering if I could turn a la scala on its side, but without the squaker and tweeter on top, it might look a tad silly and lose a bunch of the horizontal coverage. Thanks for the input fellas.

13 hours ago, haydukej said:

I think I have about 26 inches from floor to frame of the screen, so a belle is a no go. A heresy should just fit with a bit to spare. For a moment I was wondering if I could turn a la scala on its side, but without the squaker and tweeter on top, it might look a tad silly and lose a bunch of the horizontal coverage. Thanks for the input fellas.

Make sure to include a few inches for tilting.  Do not turn sideways it ruins the imaging.