La Scala + Academy In The House

ka7niq

The Elites give a very pure sound and black floor.  It takes a while to get use to.  The Academy should keep up with thehLaScala except at extreme volumes.  Let MCACC set the levels since the LaScala have a high sensitivity.  Cross things over at 50 or 80 Hz if you have a sub and run the speakers set to small.  This will keep cancellation and reinforcement low.

MCACC does have a learning curve and give it a couple of weeks for tweaking to really get things to your liking.  It is nice to have a sophisticated avr but, it will not be plug N play.:)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

The Elites give a very pure sound and black floor.  It takes a while to get use to.  The Academy should keep up with thehLaScala except at extreme volumes.  Let MCACC set the levels since the LaScala have a high sensitivity.  Cross things over at 50 or 80 Hz if you have a sub and run the speakers set to small.  This will keep cancellation and reinforcement low.

MCACC does have a learning curve and give it a couple of weeks for tweaking to really get things to your liking.  It is nice to have a sophisticated avr but, it will not be plug N play.:)

When my Son's new Marantz comes, he is giving me his Pioneer, but the one he has has the Digital D3 amp.

It will be interesting to compare the 2 Pioneer's :) 

I did  let the MCACC set all levels, and I do have a monster sub, it is called a Legacy Dual Impact. I am deliberately not using it right now, because I want to hear the La Scala's w/o any subwoofer.

The ONKYO 809 should be getting fixed by ONKYO very soon, and I am picking up the Harman Kardon AVR 247 tomorrow .  It is said that PWK had a high regard for the work of Dr Matti Otala of Finland in the identification and reduction of T.I.M. and HK amps are said to have un measurable TIM.

They have their own style of auto set up and room eq called EZ Set

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ka7niq said:

he ONKYO 809 should be getting fixed by ONKYO very soon, and I am picking up the Harman Kardon AVR 247 tomorrow .  It is said that PWK had a high regard for the work of Dr Matti Otala of Finland in the identification and reduction of T.I.M. and HK amps are said to have un measurable TIM.

They have their own style of auto set up and room eq called EZ Set

Picked up a HK(model?) avr for a friend awhile back used and checked it here first. It was sweet and easy to use so yes. Soon you will have 3 to run through the gauntlet. Thinking that Onkyo will rate well with system. Interested also in hearing @derrickdj1 take on the Niles...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Picked up a HK(model?) avr for a friend awhile back used and checked it here first. It was sweet and easy to use so yes. Soon you will have 3 to run through the gauntlet. Thinking that Onkyo will rate well with system. Interested also in hearing @derrickdj1 take on the Niles...

I have to drive clear across Tampa Bay to pick up the HK AVR 247 this morning.

I am also very interested in the Niles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

I had that AVR for years, it worked great for my home theater setup.

I drove clear across Tampa Bay to get it, but it is in the car, in the front seat of my little Miata Convertible.

I literally just walked in the door, feeding my face right now.

I will hook it up, as soon a the spirit moves me :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, ka7niq said:

I drove clear across Tampa Bay to get it, but it is in the car, in the front seat of my little Miata Convertible.

I literally just walked in the door, feeding my face right now.

I will hook it up, as soon a the spirit moves me :) 

Lol, did the spirit move you?

57 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, did the spirit move you?

Actually, no

The Harman Kardon  AVR 247 is out of my car, but 2 things have happened.

#1 - ONKYO fixed and returned my ONKYO TX NR 809

#2 - My Son gave me his Pioneer Elite SC 51 with the Pioneer D3 digital amp!

I am crazy though, and MIGHT  try to figure out a way to hear it w/o fully hooking it up. I has Main In's, so if I run my pre amp output to it's main inputs, I may be able to hear it's amp section.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ka7niq said:

Actually, no

The Harman Kardon  AVR 247 is out of my car, but 2 things have happened.

#1 - ONKYO fixed and returned my ONKYO TX NR 809

#2 - My Son gave me his Pioneer Elite SC 51 with the Pioneer D3 digital amp!

I am crazy though, and MIGHT  try to figure out a way to hear it w/o fully hooking it up. I has Main In's, so if I run my pre amp output to it's main inputs, I may be able to hear it's amp section.

Lol, it is all good I bet. Hooked the H/K avr 40 on Sunday and cannot seem to get enough of the FM tuner. At 65 wpc with the LS it is just really sweet.
Have hooked an H/K FL 8300 cd player to it after first removing some cd's from it and reconnecting a ribbon cable for the carousel. Sounded alright but thinking it is not up to snuff.

Also hooked an H/K TD-202 cassette player. Very nice. Will have to find the cassettes around here somewhere.

Kept coming back to the FM. Pipe organ especially nice with the tuner. Loving the bass.

Next will be hooking up 2 or  more power sources. Plenty of time for that.

At least you have it and more besides.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Lol, it is all good I bet. Hooked the H/K avr 40 on Sunday and cannot seem to get enough of the FM tuner. At 65 wpc with the LS it is just really sweet.
Have hooked an H/K FL 8300 cd player to it after first removing some cd's from it and reconnecting a ribbon cable for the carousel. Sounded alright but thinking it is not up to snuff.

Also hooked an H/K TD-202 cassette player. Very nice. Will have to find the cassettes around here somewhere.

Kept coming back to the FM. Pipe organ especially nice with the tuner. Loving the bass.

Next will be hooking up 2 or  more power sources. Plenty of time for that.

At least you have it and more besides.

Moving my LS into my rooms corners really helped, and not just the bass! 

The LS are imaging very well, and the big surprise has been this monster Apogee SA 800 B amp. I have a NAD amp I want to throw in there, but the big Apogee sounds really good. LOL, I sure as hell didn't buy the LS to use a 450 watt RMS amp on them like the Apogee SA 800, but the Pioneer Elite VSX 94 THX did not sound so good, all by itself, and it has Pre amp outputs, so first I tried a QSC PLX 1802 amp. It was better than the Pioneer, and the Apogee blew away the QSC.

• Like 1

Lol, yes I hear you about those monster watts. Exploring the different sounds with various equipment is just plain fun to me. Center speaker aside, using an avr using ust the fronts with almost any avr, sounds decent to me. Have always read where makers usually want that part of an avr to have the most attention. Had a Marantz SR7500 until recently would have liked to have tried. Have at least 2 or  avr's to try with it, in time. And of course my NEC made 35 wpc int. amp.

Thought you were getting some nicer results now with the corners. Looked like a nice sound room to me. Doing nearfield listening here so, happy for the moment.

• Like 1