Starting a new HT system - Synergy vs Refernce

James V

I have recently been introduced to Klipsch and am going to purchase either a SB-3, SC-1 and SS-1 package or go deeper in debt and go for the RB-3, RC-3ll and RS-3ll set-up. The only reason I'm leaning toward the Synergy series is because the size of the RS-3ll's are quit large for my room. The room is 21' long X 14' wide. My system sits on the long walls, so it is less than 14' from front to back. I'd like some other opinions on this, should I stay with the Synergy set up or mix or just put up with the larger RS's?

James

AV receiver: Technics SA-AX710

100 WATTS x 5

DVD A/V player: JVC XV-SA600BK

Dolby Digital and DTS decoders

Sub woffer: Velodyne 12 "

Well both systems sound excellent, so either way it's a win win situation. I liked the Synergy stuff when I first heard them, then I heard the Reference line and the rest was history, I got the whole shabang! 2.gif The Reference stuff can be had for not much more than the Synergy line. I would say do it right and do it once and get the Reference line, you won't regret it and you will be happy for many many mOOns to come. 9.gif

I recently just purchased the sf-2's and sc1 and am very pleased with them. If money is not an issue, as it was for me(new house, new baby), I would recommend the reference, but go listen to both side by side if you can. That will help immensely. You might also want to consider going to the floor standings instead of the bookshelfs with either series. Which ever series you choose, you will be pleased!!

Happy shopping!!

hi, you are about to make the same mistake i did! i fought over reference, and synergy in my mind as well, the sales man talked me into reference, he was right, and wrong? right in pushing reference wrong in pushing size. i ended up getting the system listed below, except i updated the centers from rc 3's, center is of utmost importance in ht, plus my viewing/ listening area is smaller 13-15, i also set up along the long wall, and because of klipshes sensitivity, you get wonderfully clear tones and seperation at very low volumes, in short, i could have the full reference series 7 in my space, and be able to appreciate it, if your budget can handle it, go as bis as you can, you will only thank yourself everytime every time you listen.12.gif

for some reason my system was not listed, so i will list the speakers;

rf 5 fronts

rf3 II satellites

rc 7 center

ksw 12

initially i bought 2 rc 3 II's front and rear centers, but i noticed my center chanel was tiny, so i moved the 3's upstairs and made them my speakers for my micro system, and purchased 1 rc 7 for center, a really good move, remember? you dont have to blast klipsh, at about 10% of power i can hear every little nuance at about 20% i am answering the door to angry neighbors, happy shopping12.gif

Like Orange Peel, I too started out checking out the Synergy series. Then I heard the Reference series and there was no turning back. Both sound very good, but the Reference series is definitely a bump up. I have the RB5-IIs, RC3-II, RS3-IIs and a KSW12 sub hooked to a Denon 3802. I love it for movies and music. Enjoy the journey.10.gif