Need subwoofer advice RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, + 4 Atmos

vasubandu

I read that the RSW-15 is recommended for my planned speakers, but I also read here that they are dying.  Would I be better off with a an R-115SW, or should I find the RSW-15?  For that matter, is the Paradigm subwoofer that I have (not sure of specs) good enough if it is the right size?  

In the world of subwoofers there's not really the same matching as you'd match your other speakers.

Ideally you'd have at least two capable subwoofers that can keep up with the output and loudness of your other speakers.  Having two helps balance the bass within the room.

It is my personal opinion that a subwoofer should be at least one size larger than the largest woofers in your front main speakers.  If I had RF-7s, then, I would want 12" or 15" subwoofers.

Your RF-7s are formidable speakers so they'll need some decent subwoofage.  SVS makes some amazing subwoofers at excellent values.  I'd look into them.

• Like 1

The RSW line are all great subs and the absolute best that I've heard for music. The 12 & 15 put out a lot of good SPL but just don't really hit low enough for movies in most rooms IMO. I have experienced a RSW-15 in a smaller, very bass friendly room where it seemed to hit the lower bass notes really well but that was one room out  of over a dozen? 

If you want to stick with Klipsch for subs I'd look into the THX Ultra 2 subwoofer set, brand new they retail for $4500 but I've picked up a couple sets used for around $1000. Brand new through the discount retailers they sell for about 50% of MSRP. The Ultra 2's really aren't that large as far as cabinets go in the subwoofer world but man they have bass output that hits low and hard, enough to put a smile on any bass junkies face! 

If that's a little more than you're looking to spend I've read a lot of good things about the new Klipsch 15" subs and they regularly go on sale at Fry's, I've seen them sell a few times for around $430 brand new and MSRP is $899. I don't think this sale is still on but just was $489 at Fry's with Promo code:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11014079-klipsch-15-inch-subwoofer-r-115sw-at-frys-for-489-after-code-in-store-only-begins-sunday-12-10

Thanks @jjptkd. This is helpful in large part to know that I can look beyond Klipsch.  I did not know if that made sense.  Right now I have a Paradigm PW-2200.  If that is adequate, I would keep it for now just to avoid the complexity of adding a subwoofer.  My experience is that it has provided plenty of impact.  I would keep it even it if was just adequate, not great.  I could always swap it out later.

Due to the nature of the beast of the RSW lines, and their rapid disappearance, I'd encourage you to examine the offerings from SVS.

https://www.svsound.com/

Had I not found the RSW's that I acquired - I would have eventually gone with the SVS subs - and probably eventually anyway despite my RSW-15 in the assortment (it's likely it will get moved to 2 channel duty in the future, it'll die under my ownership - if ever).

6 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Yeah @The History Kid I am finding nothing for RSW in the United States.  Oddly, Canada seems a better bet and Vancouver B.C. is jus a few hours away.  I will check out the SVS - as I recall they started in subwoofers.  But I really hope that the Paradigm SW-2200 will cut it.

Buddy, for the price of that Paradigm you could get a PC-2000 sub that just sounds magical.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000

Twice the power of the Paradigm too.  I've gotten to hear this sub and it is worth that pricetag and then some.

ETA: Did not read that you HAD the Paradigm already - if that's the case, give it a shot for now.  Just keep your options open when looking for a replacement or an additional one.

• Like 1