I hate upgrading (need some 4k help)

Thaddeus Smith

It's time to retire my 73" DLP and I'm going to be getting a modest 4k 70" to replace it. I might as well take advantage of the improved video quality, so also going to get a new Xbox One X.

But I'm keeping my onkyo tx-nr1010. It handles all of the current HD audio formats natively, has excellent audyssey platinum with subEQ, and generally just fits the bill. It up scales to 4k resolution, however, and doesn't do 4k pass through. I only have a single device that I use for games and media playback. Output is 4.2 audio so I'm not trying to do 7.1 or atmos.

So I've got a few options..

Run hdmi from the Xbox into receiver and then receiver into the TV. I get the HD audio, but then lose full 4k support and features.

Run hdmi from the Xbox to the TV and optical to the receiver. I get full 4k video/feature support but then lose audio since it looks like I can only do pcm stereo or some sort of bitstream (can't find clear details on number of channels)

Or use an hdmi splitter like the following to route 4k video to the TV and HD audio to the avr. In theory it looks like it has all of the proper 4k, hdcdp 2.2 support, and HD audio format support - but it also seems too good to be true, so I'm wondering if anyone else has used this or similar to overcome the problem I've described.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WGLCD7J/ref=psdcmw_172546_t3_B01N6EWETL?th=1&psc=1

Without a dual hdmi output, you'll need to settle for one of the options you already suggested...

best option is to run hdmi direct to the monitor that way you can keep all the metadata and run a second hdmi to the receiver for HD/multi channel audio.

If you didn't already choose your monitor, make sure you get uhd/hdr or dolby vision support. Resolution (4k) is only a small segment of the entire "presentation" .

Well it turns out that the Xbox is still quirky with playing back a bunch of the media types I have. And it turns out that a decent deal can be had from accessories4less on an upgrade that keeps all of the same audyssey features I need while providing suitable video compatibility.. For the same price as the Xbox one X and this avr key combined. So, I chose to get the denon X3400h and keep my nvidia shield which plays back everything flawlessly.

• Thanks 1