New Media Room

David___

• Moderators
6 hours ago, David___ said:

She asked if I could jusy get some "cute little speakers" for the surrounds. :lol:

Just tell her you asked here, we took a vote and got back with you and the answer was NO. :o:D

Just get what you want and tell her you took her advice and got the smaller surrounds, and it was a great idea, you should have seen the size of the ones I was going to get, thank you.:emotion-55:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Just tell her you asked here, we took a vote and got back with you and the answer was NO. :o:D

Just get what you want and tell her you took her advice and got the smaller surrounds, and it was a great idea, you should have seen the size of the ones I was going to get, thank you.:emotion-55:

This guy would know about large speakers and where to place them. Any time you need a tractor to move your speakers, you're dealing with some biggins :D

• Moderators

That's funny, but I don't have a problem explaining anything to my wife, it's her that's likes big speakers. :emotion-19:

David a big speaker is one that takes 2 or more people to move, anything one person can handle is medium size at best. :o:emotion-21: Good looking room

2 minutes ago, David___ said:

Now I am thinking the R-240S and then splurging for the R-115SW. I would have to put the fronts near the corners and maybe pull the TV stand out a few inches to fit the giant sub.

So you would place the subwoofer behind the stand?  Yikes.:o

Bill

No I would put it on one side. Moving the stand out to have a flush look for the front stage.

I only have 4' to work with on either side and the stand currently comes out 24" from the wall. I suppose I could shift the stand a foot to the left or right. Wish I had the TV to play with. Delivery was scheduled for today but got rescheduled for Saturday.

7 minutes ago, David___ said:

I only have 4' to work with on either side and the stand currently comes out 24" from the wall. I suppose I could shift the stand a foot to the left or right.

Don't do that.  Center that stand so your TV is centered.  Just get two R-115SWs to keep the symmetry.;):D

Bill

I would wall mount the TV, I bought an articulating mount, comes out, tilts, pivots, works great for positioning the TV.  Go with a narrower, but taller AV stand.  Something with at least 4 to 5 shelves for your center and gear.  Take some measurements to determine where to mount the wall bracket.  You want the bottom of the TV to sit obviously slightly above the center.  Mine's about 1 1/2 - 2" above.  This would give you more room for (2) 115's and mains.  

Running the wiring in the wall to the TV isn't hard, unless you have horizontal braces between the studs.  Can get a little more challenging with them.  I had an electrician come in and run an outlet next to the wall mount behind the TV for power.  You've got a good budget to do this, but one thing I wouldn't do is scrimp on the mains or the center.  As others have said, I've heard a lot of good things about the RP-280F's.  An RP-450C is a good match to those.  They are a bit wide at 31" but I'm sure you could find a suitable AV rack to accommodate the width.

Seems like you've gotten some good ideas on the rears.  As for an AVR I would look at Accessories4Less, or find a couple of year old model that is new but is being sold at a discounted price.  There's lot's of options as far as AVR's go.  Just do some research and check out a few brands to see what you like at the local stereo store.  I'm no expert, and know about being on a budget, so I'll gladly help you spend your money.  

Here's a pic of what I did in our little HT room.  I had a really narrow space to work with.  I have an SVS 20-39 PCi sub in the right front.  The RB-81's are pretty good but I'd like to change them to a floorstander.  The sides of them are right inside the edge of the wall and the door on the right.  That's an RC-62 center in the pic, would definitely be better with some RF-82's.  Overall, nothing special but it works pretty well.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

IMG_20180215_212930372.thumb.jpg.1303b0b535c84a9adf8941848ca26962.jpg

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

would wall mount the TV, I bought an articulating mount, comes out, tilts, pivots, works great for positioning the TV. 

I agree, i just did this and it really frees up room across the front, mounts are not expensive just shop around and get  one like ACV talked about. I got one that holds 110 pounds for $60 and it's very strong, holds the 65" TV at under 70 pounds easily. I think it was ordered from home depot and shipped here, best deal I could find, but shop if you do this, full motion is important.

I'm pretty close to picking up a pair of RP-280F's and a RP-450C. I would then run them on a Onkyo TX-SR508 (80 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD) until I can figure out what receiver I really need. I also plan on waiting for Fry's to run a sale on the subs.