Newbie question about Minimum wattage

HalusN8er

Hey guys. New here and to Klipsch speakers.

Anyway, to the point. I just ordered a pair of Klipsch R- 26f speakers. I am currently using a Marantz MR 235 stereo receiver. Specs on that receiver are:

Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 18Hz to 30kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.08%

Damping factor: 53

Input sensitivity: 2.8mV (MM), 180mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 72dB (MM), 80dB (line)

Output: 500mV (line)

My question is, will this receiver supply enough wattage as to not damage the speakers?  

Thanks in advance. 

It’s my living room, which is approximately 15’x20’, with a high ceiling. 

Not exactly sure how to answer how loud I will be listening, but I have never had the volume on that receiver turned to half way up. Moderate music listening levels, never what I would consider “cranked”, but loud enough at times that you would have to talk loudly to have a conversation. 

• Like 1

So, here's how you calculate this stuff. 

30 watts is 14.8 dBW (dB above a watt)  https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators 

The speakers are 97 dB at 1 watt at 1 meter.  97 + 14.8 = 111.8 dB, say 112

A second speaker adds twice the sound or +6 dB (playing a mono signal for the pedantic) = 118 dB (at 1 meter)

Sound level decreases 6 db for each doubling of distance (outdoors for the pedantic) and 3 meters/10 feet  (9.8425197 for the p.......) reduces the sound level by 9.5 dB.  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm 

So your peak capability is 118 - 9.5 = 108.5, say 108 dB WITHOUT clipping (nasty sounding distortion) and at the amp's rated output.   I would expect a Marantz to produce a little more than rated power. 

A symphony *may* hit peaks of 110 dB in the audience and sounds to me like it averages about 80 dB.  Live jazz would be a comfortable 75 to 80 db average and 100 db peaks.  Rock concerts, ...... well, "blow a 50 amp fuse." 

All that being proof you have plenty of power for realistic music levels, but if you hear gritty or brittle sounds, turn down the volume quickly; that is the first sign of clipping. 

Further, 3 db, a barely noticeable change requires twice the amplifier power and a big change, 10 dB, requires 10x the amplifier power.  You will have to make a big change in power to get much louder. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

So, here's how you calculate this stuff. 

30 watts is 14.8 dBW (dB above a watt)  https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators 

The speakers are 97 dB at 1 watt at 1 meter.  97 + 14.8 = 111.8 dB, say 112

A second speaker adds twice the sound or +6 dB (playing a mono signal for the pedantic) = 118 dB (at 1 meter)

Sound level decreases 6 db for each doubling of distance (outdoors for the pedantic) and 3 meters/10 feet  (9.8425197 for the p.......) reduces the sound level by 9.5 dB.  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm 

So your peak capability is 118 - 9.5 = 108.5, say 108 dB WITHOUT clipping (nasty sounding distortion) and at the amp's rated output.   I would expect a Marantz to produce a little more than rated power. 

A symphony *may* hit peaks of 110 dB in the audience and sounds to me like it averages about 80 dB.  Live jazz would be a comfortable 75 to 80 db average and 100 db peaks.  Rock concerts, ...... well, "blow a 50 amp fuse." 

All that being proof you have plenty of power for realistic music levels, but if you hear gritty or brittle sounds, turn down the volume quickly; that is the first sign of clipping. 

Further, 3 db, a barely noticeable change requires twice the amplifier power and a big change, 10 dB, requires 10x the amplifier power.  You will have to make a big change in power to get much louder. 

That was fantastic!  Thank you for the clear explanation.