2 speakers for front center?

robforst1

Actually, its not any different. Its just not as prominent the lower you go because the wavelengths are much longer, even longer than the room dimensions most people are listen in. The higher the frequency, the more frequent the occurrence of alternating cancellation & reinforncement. You would be better off just adding a second Heresy bass driver only & leave just one set of mid & high drivers. The bass speaker has the most cone excursion & distortion & determines the overall efficiency of the system. And it would be least affected by the comb filter effect.

artto

Arto,

Great explaination that hasn't come out yet about caneling. I run two on my center but I keep them about 5 foot apart to minimize this, plus as I have stated in posts before I DO NOT toe them in at the listening spot. I let them dispurse to it. I always new there was a reason I did this but to me it just sounded better.

EJ1.gif

I think that if we were listening to pure steady tones the comb effect would be a real problem. The music and movies that I listen to with my two Heresy front center channel speakers is too dynamic for the effect to be noticable. In other words, the nulls are moving too fast to register.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree. An acoustic wave front, is an acoustic wave front. Physics doesn't care if its a sine wave or a dynamic complex signal. The cancellations will still be there. Whether or not its audible to certain individuals under specific conditions is a subjective call for sure. But consider that you're not dealing with a situation like a complete speaker system that has crossover networks where you can compensate for time delay & phase errors between the drivers thereby reducing comb filter effects. I also can't understand the purpose of placing two "center speakers" 5 feet apart. This may reduce comb filter effects between the two speakers but it also seems to me that it would just spread the center imaging apart, which is completely the opposite of what a center channel is supposed to do. May I borrow a phrase from one of my architect cohorts? Seems like this is a prime example where "Less is More". The KISS method also comes to mind.

I am not disagreeing that the comb effects are not there, just that I haven't heard them. As for using 2 speakers for center, in my case, I can't put a speaker above or below the TV. Using just one speaker on one side skews the sound away from the TV, adding another brings it back.

It's not perfect, but It's the best I can do with what my wife will let me have.

Jim,

I know exactly what you are talking about.

The other day I went to watch a movie and it was about twenty minutes into it before I realized that my reciever was still in stereo mode and not surround.

My heresies have such great stereo imaging that I thought that I was hearing my center channel. I think it could work even better if you had the same source being sent to both speakers as you do.

I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. For now though my Synergy series SC1 seems to do fine, and lol it is wider than my 14" toshiba tv.

Peace, Josh

arto,

It works for me. I like the way they sound spread apart from each other. You might run into problems if you were unable to get you mains spread out from the center with such a big center stage but if you are able to get some separation in terms of distance I don't hear a problem. My fronts are still inside the width of the TV, ie the centers are not on the sides of the tv. I can easily detect center material. No problems with imaging. Front soundstage is seamless.

EJ 1.gif