mdeneen Where the Hello Are You??

lynnm

I miss MDeneen also. In fact I just tried to call him to see if he was okay well actually I've call and emailed a bunch of times in the last few weeks. He can be one busy guy. I think I myself will never find a more helpful and likeable guy though just wished I lived near him like Clipped is lucky enough to be !!

Craig

DizRotus

Your Avatar pic of a lotus (?) reminds me of the first 1.gifand unfortunately last time I ever drove a Morgan Plus 8 . The guy who owned it was a fellow student who was (terribly_ obviously) enduring the humiliation of having to get his undergraduate degree at a barely acceptable institution in the colonies. It seems there had been a bit of bother back in England about his Father's business practices and therefore it was well that he attend university somewhere outside of Dear Old Blighty as the "Fourth Estate" was merrily chewing on the family's Assets.

In any event - despite his obvious disdain for us colonials - LR esq. & I - got along pretty well --- until that fateful day ! (explanatory note follows):

You've got to understand that in my time I had driven a lot of British and Italian sportscars and had something of a reputation amongst my friends as something of a veritable hellion on wheels - one who actually knew how to extract the last ounce of performance out of those machines.

The Morgans and especially the Plus 8 were the epitomy of vintage lust at that time and he arrived at the station in his brand new Morgan +8 . I said where the hell did you get that ??

He explained that his father had connections via a cousin...who was engaged to somebody etc. ....and in any event he had been able to purchase the Morgan +8 for himself at a very good price.

At the end of our shift he offered me the opportunity to drive. I declined and said that I would rather enjoy the ride until we got into the countryside. I should have gotten a clue as to the handling and acceleration of a 24 pound car with a 19th Century suspension powered by a 200 h.p. Buick engine during our excursion to the country but sadly I did not!

Everything went well until we rounded a moderate curve ,(entered at about 60 mph. and exited at about 70 mph), which I was well acquainted with and found myself swerving to avoid a Holstein I had never seen before!

Fortunately for all concerned all that needed repair was some paint on the left rear wing and shampooing of our seats. Unfortunately I was never again offered an opportunity to drive his Morgan.

• 3 years later...

This post fooled me completely for a moment there - I actually replied to Lynn before I realized - very disconcerting and rather upsetting.

I would love to have shared this with Lynn,

The problem with the Morgan was not so much the handling - as stopping the damn things. I drove one many years ago from Manchester to Leeds in England. Went like the wind but bringing it to a sudden halt was neither pleasant nor sudden - cable operated drum brakes are not what you want on a car with that kind of performance!

Probably the most scarey vehicle I have ever driven!

Actually - thinking about it - the second most scarey I have been in - the most scarey was a Porche Turbo (early model - 1976 I would guess from memory). I was not driving (thank God) but I have never been in anything with such a tendency to leave the road backwards - especially in the wet. Again horrifically fast.

Sorry to hear of Max's misfortune at not having realized the dates of the posts.

But it is nice to read some of Lynn's classic posts. He was masterful at describing details and I loved his dry wit. That he used Mark Twain as his avatar was a perfect design. Nice memory of the man.

Max, you would have loved the trip I took around Indy's interstate beltway about a decade ago. I worked with an Indycar team and John Paul Jr. was our driver. He took me on a jaunt around the freeway in his Porsche, darting in an out of traffic that I would have thought impassable. JP loved traffic. During the 1992 race , when we finished 10th (not bad for a local low budget team), run in terribly cold conditions where the tires had no bite at all, JP survived passing through the debris field of three horrible accidents. Guy just had a great sense of space. I did wet my knickers. I think he enjoyed doing that to us crew guys.

Michael

Well, just call me Max,

Looking at this thread, before realizing the date, gave me a moment of whooooooaa.

On the lighter side, if it gave Mark pause.... to think... "wow, greetings from the after life?"

...." and the one sending greetings is expecting me, soon?"

Well... I was hoping to go.... just not today!!! :-)