What is the best bargain priced 10" subwoofer?

trvale

I currently have SB-1's, Quintet center(soon to be SC.5) and Quintet rears with a cheapo $99 KLH 10" subwoofer. I am very happy with the performance of my main speakers but feel the sub definitely needs upgrading. As you can tell by the rest of my system, I am on a tight budget. As I can't afford any SVS Ultra's, I need some recomendations on a nice 10" sub in the $200-$400 price range. I was looking at the JBL PB10. I get one shipped for about $220, but I have read mixed reviews on it. I have found the KSW-10 for about $260 online, but haven't heard great reviews on Klipsch subs. I can also get the Velodyne CHT10 for a little over $300. I need help as I am unable to audition any of these subs where I live. Any comments on these subs, or any other for that matter is appreciated.

Both Velodyne and Klipsch provide tight, accturate and deep base. For your situation, I would go for the KSW-10. Mainly becuase it is matched for the quintets. By the way how do the quintets sound? I've heard good things about them but never actually listened to a pair. How do they compare to the SB-1s? I'm looking into the quintets for a budget theatre. thanks.

The quintets are great for a budget home theater, just missing some mid range punch. I have not heard any micro home theater system to match the Quintets, especially for the price. They are not the best for music, that is why I upgraded the mains to SB-1's. I do have to say the SB-1's are much better than the Quintets in every respect. The highs and mids are great. The one downside is the size compared to the Quintets. The Quintets brackets made it very easy to wall mount them. For the SB-1's wall mounting was out of the question.

Check out the Infinity Interlude subs at ubid.com(authorized dealer). They have the 10"(IL100s) and the 12"(IL120S). The can both be had shipped within your budget. I used to own a KSW-12 then I went to the IL100S and it win's hands down even though it has a smaller driver and rated to have less power. It's much more musical and all Interlude subs include the RABOS. If you buy the kit($60 and well worth it), you can use the built in one band parametric eq to tame your biggest room peak.

If at all possible though try and go with the IL120S. I've owned that as well and is a very large step up in performance from the IL100S due to a larger driver and double the amp power. I read some "profesional" online review and the reviewer was bold enough to say that this was the sub to beat under $1k.

"Are the Infinity Entra's on the same level of the Interlude's?"

No they are not,from cabinet integrity to driver and amp the Interlude sub is a true High-End sub,the Entra is NOT.While the Interlude(same quality as the Prelude subs)does not have the massive output of SVS but is as clean and defined as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...