HDMI and Phono for Heresy

Opti Coat

Hi, so I just ordered a pair of Heresy III to update my 20 year run with my Bose 5.1 system. They get here next week but I got fired up and pulled my Techniques 1200 out and attempted to hook it up to my Pioneer receiver. No phono input. So, now I need to figure out how to make it all work in tandem. In an ideal world I can find a receiver that has HDMI for the TV and Xbox, and a phono input with a pre amp. I also want something that is worthy of the speakers. Rather new to all of this and internet searching for hours is leaving me even more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, so I just ordered a pair of Heresy III to update my 20 year run with my Bose 5.1 system. They get here next week but I got fired up and pulled my Techniques 1200 out and attempted to hook it up to my Pioneer receiver. No phono input. So, now I need to figure out how to make it all work in tandem. In an ideal world I can find a receiver that has HDMI for the TV and Xbox, and a phono input with a pre amp. I also want something that is worthy of the speakers. Rather new to all of this and internet searching for hours is leaving me even more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Lack of phono input should be a red flag. Phonographs and LPs are antiquated technologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Lack of phono input should be a red flag. Phonographs and LPs are antiquated technologies.

Believe that qualifies as an opinion Mr. Whitlow. B)

I'd ask you to listen to a well cared for LP from forty years ago routed through a good system then give us all another report.

I've got several LPs that sound way better than their digital counterparts. 

Heavy Chevys are antiquated too, and they're hard to top in performance, simplicity and durability!

Yep, I got up this way today!:lol:

Believe that qualifies as an opinion Mr. Whitlow. B)

I'd ask you to listen to a well cared for LP from forty years ago routed through a good system then give us all another report.

I've got several LPs that sound way better than their digital counterparts. 

Heavy Chevys are antiquated too, and they're hard to top in performance, simplicity and durability!

Yep, I got up this way today!:lol:

I was listening to LPs forty years ago. Tics and pops, inner groove distortion, channel crosstalk. Bought my last in ‘83. LPs were the best medium for their time but their time is up. It’s impossible for an LP to sound better than a CD. Anybody that says different is smitten with nostalgia.

4 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

It’s impossible for an LP to sound better than a CD. Anybody that says different is smitten with nostalgia.

Pretty bold statement.:o  The Vinyl boys can get pretty vicious on this forum.:angry:

If the CD has little compression and great dynamics, your statement is probably true.  No dynamics and flat as a pancake, not so likely.

Bill

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, willland said:

Pretty bold statement.:o  The Vinyl boys can get pretty vicious on this forum.:angry:

If the CD has little compression and great dynamics, your statement is probably true.  No dynamics and flat as a pancake, not so likely.

Bill

And especially if they(the engineers) left the RIAA curve(or some of it) on the CD master.

• Thanks 1

There are technological arguments for the record having better dynamics, I think. I did state "well cared for" and "good system". The sound of my "Close to the Edge" in every way except that surface noise at the beginning of side two and the incredible short, high warp on it (cart handled it) I did not like it for a $30.00 LP. Got a gold MFSL cd instead and the lp was better. Not nostalgia, the depth, timbre, bass can be much better on vinyl.

There are technological arguments for the record having better dynamics, I think. I did state "well cared for" and "good system". The sound of my "Close to the Edge" in every way except that surface noise at the beginning of side two and the incredible short, high warp on it (cart handled it) I did not like it for a $30.00 LP. Got a gold MFSL cd instead and the lp was better. Not nostalgia, the depth, timbre, bass can be much better on vinyl.

You are hearing groove noise.

1 hour ago, Tony Whitlow said:

You are hearing groove noise.

NO. You're not able to speak of what I can hear here. Look into it, and of course you don't have to believe what I state. Have a good one.             

Apologies to @Opti Coat enjoy that new Onkyo, I've heard a couple that were nice!

Dang guys, there is a certain warmth that is in Albums. I like to get the full spectrum and have a lot of records. Plus I have a 1200 from back in my band/DJ days that I really want to use.  Anyway, I am super stoked about the speakers. Is there a heritage matching subwoofer and center?