Amplifier Selection Forte III

onzedge

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

One option to consider is maybe selling the separates and getting an integrated amplifier.  There are plenty (used or new) w/ more than enough power, including some McIntosh and Parasound options (since you seem to like those brands).

One problem with horn speakers, including the F3's, is their very high efficiency will allow ANY electrical noise or hum in your system to be much more audible.  With separates you have the power amplifier, pre-amp, DAC, phono pre-amp, etc.. all having their own set of interconnects, their own power cord and often plugged into different outlets.  This paves the way for hum/ buzz issues that are far less likely when all of these components are properly integrated into one chassis, using one power supply, one power outlet and one ground.    You'll loose nothing in terms of fidelity with an integrated amplifier but may gain quite a bit in terms of fewer buzz/ hum headaches which can be more common w/ high-efficiency speakers.  ...Just a thought.

very interesting , if true , if multi components will add noise problems ,  minimize  possible problems using an all in one system .

5 hours ago, Kidd said:

very interesting , if true , if multi components will add noise problems ,  minimize  possible problems using an all in one system .

They don't add more noise by themselves, it's the additional interconnects, power cables, and outlets they necessitate that introduce more opportunities for hum & hiss.  Normally, the resultant noise may not be noticeable, but it very will might be with horn speakers.

• 4 months later...

I had a NAD 7240 with KG-4s and it was punchy and wonderful- from 1986-2018

Now i have NAD C368 and new Forte IIIs, and it sounds thin and quiet... i miss the bass/treb knobs and bass EQ boost that really made the low end of the 7240 shine!

Thinking of trying a new amp w Forte 3s-  whats everyone prefer these days- 

Is NAD losing it... and what good amp has bass/treble controls that can be tweaked right on the front panel?

thx  <>DM3

On 5/2/2018 at 7:53 PM, garyrc said:

I've gone there for a very occasional peak for just an instant (just a touch of a needle swing) with the loudest Mahler or Beethoven climax. 

Haha ... love it ... been there and done that :D OK; have been to 120dB's :D