Installing Mike's Altec 511B horns

Q-Man

Tom,

That's encouraging news about the 288/805b. I havn't gotten to the tweeter issue yet. I still only have the various midrange drivers and horns hooked up the networks. It's time to move on. The tweeters that I have to compare are the K-77,

University HF206, and the JBL 2404H baby cheeks.

I'll give a listen with and without them.

I'm thinking of changing the Jensen Imperials that I use in the rear to a two way with the 288/805. That bass horn has a little more punch than the Klipschorn and is good to 600hz. That's where Jensen crossed it over. I picked up a pair of the Altec N8500 8 ohm networks that you told me about. So I can cross them over at 500Hz to the 288. I also picked up a pair of 8 ohm diaphrams for the 288-16K 16 ohm drivers, just incase I have to change the 16K to 8 ohms to match this network.

I need to email djk and tell him that I will take the 288 & 805 that he offered me.

John,

Thanks for the Community Light and Sound info. They do seem to have some serious stuff. Since I'm pleaced with the results of the Altecs and already have a few dollars invested in them, I'm going that rout. Feel free to bring over your new JBL top ends when you get them finished. I would like to compare them. Second thought, don't bother I would hate to prefer them at this point.

I don't mind rebuilding a few speaker cabinets, but I also have to rebuild my wall unit again. This is getting old.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks fine, Jim. My congratulation. Good to know, that the altec horn fits into the space above the bass bin. I feared it could be too long. Therefore i let pass a rare auction of altec 511 horns here in nuremberg, germany.

Did you thought about installing the tweeter vertically? Previous posts said, the dispersion of the T35-Tweeter would be better if mounted vertically.

Why did you mount the tweeter much higher above the altec horn? How does it sound in that high position?

Mike,

You can give me a call and come listen to a few things.

I'm just working on the plans on how to rebuild the wall unit, what cables I need and the list goes on and on. Bring a 511 if you want to compare it again.

Trying to fit this Altec driver and horn in a bass horn cabinet above the TV isn't easy. It was a piece of cake just putting a LaScala up there.

Q, I'd be interested in your opinion of the HF206 tweeter. As I recall, it was you and Mike who were not as fond of the 4401 as the T35. I was wondering how the HF206 compares with both.

I relistened to the Cobreflex used for the mid on one of my CW's. You recall I thought they were 'overwhelming' the woofer and the tweeter. This appeared to be the case at very low volumes. However, at normal listening levels, things sounded OK. I then dragged out the Rat Shack SPL and to my astonishment, there was a difference of more than 1db but less than 2db. That is to say the reading was fluxuating between 1 and 2db more than I had dialed it in with the K55/Klipsch. It appears to be a case where there is simply MORE, not LOUDER sound. More is not necessarily better unless it's more QUALITY sound. Indeed it is. I think Jim C summed it up....The K400 sounds like a bullhorn. Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. Think I'll leave one CW stock and the other w/Cobre assembly for a couple of weeks and see which seat I gravitate towards more.

Here are a few pictures of the demo at my House w/Q-Man. I'm bummed that we can't load more than one pic at a time. I think I will load them in 5 successive posts and then come back to this post and display them from the website.

This first pic is of the ALK's sitting on top of the La Scala prior to installation.

ALK.JPG

Here's Q-Man installing the K55 to the 511B...

Qand511B.JPG

Look at the size of the 8 cell Altec 805B...

Altec805B.JPG

And here's Q with the 805B driver in his hand. It kind of dwarfs the K55...

QandDriver.JPG

Here's a side shot of the 511B w/K55 driver attached...

Altec511B.JPG

And here's how it looks from the sweet spot...

SVSand511B.JPG

Mike

post-6388-13819245501418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Q-man, and Mike

Did you guys get the La Scala tops built?

You guys seemed kinda burned out!

LOL

Dale on the mount King Khorns is now interested in some kind of mod!

I still like this setup i have here, \mike thanks again for the horn adapter part info!

I just so happened to live near John Ellis, he made me a deal on the horns, very nice guy!

Regards Jim

Poor Mike's new LaScala tops are on hold. I've been putting all my free time into my 288/805B.

I bought another pair of the 288 drivers so that I'll have one to use as a center channel.

I decided to go with the Altec driver and horn for the midrange and the Klipschorn for the bottom. Now I'm playing with the tweeters. I might replace the K-77 with the JBL-2404H. Once I decide on the tweeter, I have to to compare the University bass horn with the LaScala bass horn.

One of these bass horns will be used with the Altec driver and horn for the center channel.

I havn't started building tops for my changes yet. I also need to rebuild my wall unit. I did start the equipment rack and ordered some cables to reach the TV. The cables need to be 30' long.

"The 2123H was made for the 2404 and at two/side wired in parallel you have the the sensitivity without the the horn!  JBL is *giving* these away at $130 with free shipping.

40lbs of magnet structure pushing on 4 little cones. It brings a tear to my eye."

Which one in the picture is the 2123H and what is it and how would you use it and why is it so good for the price? btw the only thing available at the JBL tent sale for $130 is 2123J, do you have another source?

I know nothing, just trying to learn fast.

-c7s