Pre-amp / Y Cable out question ?

joessportster

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've use splitters like these for years.  Never had an issue.

Sorry to hijack the thread but looking at that AQ adapter you linked to got me thinking. Would it be possible to take a preamp with single output like Joe is describing and use them to route the Pre's output to two different amps? Not to be used at the same time (assuming Joe is bi-amping) but for convenience sake? I have a Pair of VRDs and a pair of Wright SET mono blocks both using the same pre. I currently swap out each amps RCAs when I want to use VRDs vs Wrights leaving the other set of amps turned off and only connected at the amps. The loose ends just sit behind the pre till I swap them back again.

Wondering if any issues with output from pre feeding the active set of amps while the other set is connected but unutilized?

Just now, rplace said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but looking at that AQ adapter you linked to got me thinking. Would it be possible to take a preamp with single output like Joe is describing and use them to route the Pre's output to two different amps? Not to be used at the same time (assuming Joe is bi-amping) but for convenience sake? I have a Pair of VRDs and a pair of Wright SET mono blocks both using the same pre. I currently swap out each amps RCAs when I want to use VRDs vs Wrights leaving the other set of amps turned off and only connected at the amps. The loose ends just sit behind the pre till I swap them back again.

Wondering if any issues with output from pre feeding the active set of amps while the other set is connected but unutilized?

That's actually how I use them.  I have one preamp with these on the outputs.  One set of cables runs to my ATI amp for my patio.  The other set of cables feeds a QSC AND Crown amp in my garage.  I can use one amp, the other or both simultaneously.  No noise, no hum, no issues whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's actually how I use them.  I have one preamp with these on the outputs.  One set of cables runs to my ATI amp for my patio.  The other set of cables feeds a QSC AND Crown amp in my garage.  I can use one amp, the other or both simultaneously.  No noise, no hum, no issues whatsoever.

Cool that you can use them at the same time. I'd have guessed that somehow "less" signal to the various amps if using both. By less I have no idea what I really mean. Wish I had taken some electronics classes along the way. My VRDs and Wrights both feed my khorns so no need to have both amps at the same time but thanks for pointing out that you could use both.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm too OCD or audio nervosa for that. My opinion @rplace you need a switch.

15 minutes ago, rplace said:

Cool that you can use them at the same time. I'd have guessed that somehow "less" signal to the various amps if using both. By less I have no idea what I really mean. Wish I had taken some electronics classes along the way. My VRDs and Wrights both feed my khorns so no need to have both amps at the same time but thanks for pointing out that you could use both.

Each amp sees the same voltage as before.

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I can solve this simply send me the monos you like least.....................Problem solved :):emotion-21:

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've use splitters like these for years.  Never had an issue.

I was looking at these earlier, Thinking it would be the shortest signal path.................Is there plenty of space for connecting the 2 RCA cables I have Blue jean cables and the ends are larger than most cheap type cables. 

1 minute ago, joessportster said:

I can solve this simply send me the monos you like least.....................Problem solved :):emotion-21:

Good one Joe!

At first I thought I loved the Wrights so much that I might entertain selling the VRDs then I switch back and think man that drum stick on the skin really snaps. Ok, I'll sell the Wrights....then I find myself at least once a listening session actually snapping my focus to the speaker and saying to myself "I never heard that before", this SET things is something special.

For sure they are both different, but I can't really say one is better or I like it more. Below you can see I used my limited word working skills to carve out a tiny home for the cute little Wrights atop the VRDs. Can you say transformer envy? With that I think, at least for a while, they are both sticking around.

WrightsVRDs.jpg.a8d3777d94126f1a558d8d55a58e125f.jpg