black diamond racing pyramids mk3 & mk4

powdermnky007

have you guys heard of these things?

Suposedly they isolate your equipment...

all the reviews i've found were VERY positive.

here are some of the reviews i looked at.

http://www.audioreview.com/Others/Black+Diamond+Racing+Pyramid+Cones+Mk.+4/PRD_117780_1590crx.aspx

this link includes a picture

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=ABDRM4

just thought it was something you guys should know about, or if you did know about them i was wondering your thoughts.

-justin

I usually sit on those while I'm listening. It stops me from falling asleep:)

I just read the ad.

"Mark IV cones are more analytical and linear in their performance than the Mark III, with an even emphasis throughout the bandwidth."

This cone "sounds" different than this cone. Puhleez.

"...Their effect on an audio system is nothing short of jaw-dropping..."

Yeah, I can only imagine.

I have heard only good things about the original Black Diamond RAcing cones. Many people liked them a lot and more than a few used them under various pieces of gear, not the least of which was in place of the feet for the original Rega Planet. Supposed to work well under preamps and amps; I generally like cones over soft shoe footers via tube gear. On average (and there are MANY types of cones) they bring more clarity, top to bottom.

But FIRST, you need some good gear. Cones under mediocre brings just that... Detailed mediocrity! heh...

I don't deny they make a positive difference. I just don't appreciate the wild, ridiculous claims.

I received a catalog in the mail recently where the editor said their cables made $100 Radio Shack speakers sound better than other cables on a pair of high-end speakers.

Think I'll run out and get those Radio Shack speakers right away!

I've used BDR cones for a few years now. I find that they offer a certain amount of mechanical isolation without "coloring" or "softening" of the sound that I have experienced using other kinds of isolation devices. Nothing is magic but, every little bit helps if it working in the right direction.

I use the cones under all my equipment except my SACD player and speakers. See if a dealer will give you a trial period with some sort of return guarantee. Trying them in your own particular situation is the only way to really know for sure if they are of benefit to you.

where did you guys get them from, and how much did they cost? Cause i found them 3 for 50 bucks... and with my current gear the gear would be better spent elsewhere (such as radio shack cables!!) HAH :)

I know what you mean about those crazy claims, but i take pretty much everything with a grain of salt. But, once i get everything else i want, those would be a good place to drop some cash :) I'll write down ya'lls vendor (if anyone remembers) and use it for later reference, thx

I have a set of racing cones and the pucks under my Teac VRDS-10 Cd player. I started with just the cones, model III under the cd player and then experimented with the pucks as well.

I found the cones helped some, but were better when combined with the pucks. The soundstage opened up and there was more detail to the music, probably due to the fact my cd player was not getting feedback and bouncing around from the Cornwalls being played loudly.

If I am not mixed up, the III's work better under digital and the IV's are better for tubes. Something about making the digital equipment a little more mellow and not as harsh.

I have my stereo equipment on an old oak server that I refinished. It is a nice piece of furniture, but the cd transport benefits from the isolation capabilities of the cones.

Are they worth the price? They aren't cheap, but did help improve the sound coming from my Acurus amp and preamp system. They made a difference, just like changing the caps, inductors and wiring in my Cornwalls made a difference. Not as significant a change as replacing the inductors, but a good step towards what I am looking for.

Your dealer should let you take a pair home and see if you like them, of course with the usual credit card as payment just in case.

I hope that helps.