Best / Strongest speaker Cabinet design

joessportster

I need to have a Cabinet built plan is to use MDF initially and finish later if testing proves positive. the design is straight forward rectangle I thought butt joints using biscuits / glue along all sides and may reinforce with Brad nails I am wondering about the top and bottoms and which would be stronger setting them on top so they cover all the sides or setting them inside so that all sides surround them.  Aesthetics are not a real concern yet.  Opinions ?  Carl I know you build a lot of cabinets :) 

Sorry Joe, you said speaker and I read stereo.  I thought you were building a stereo cabinet.  I've built sub cabinets that withstood much more pressure than you'll get with a conventional speaker cabinet using  butted joints.  If the cuts are straight and pieces mate properly they'll never come apart using wood glue or PL Premium.  It doesn't matter how you configure the panels.  You can always use glue blocks in the corners if you want a little more structural integrity but shouldn't really need them.

Good luck on dovetailing anything made of MDF...not enough linear fiber in it to keep the dovetails from breaking off when assembling, and if you try to solve that problem by making "looser-fitting" dovetails, you have negated the purpose of dove-tails to begin with....which is a tight joint with no "wiggle-room".