The sky's the limit on this one!!!

Allan Songer

Stamp collecting....whoop -de-doo!

just relics. nothing to do with the music more than an autograph hound has to do with the private life of a celebrity, imo.

-c7s

if the title had not been reissued every which way and the music not readily available on vinyl and CD, I might think different, as if owning that archival relic would be the only source for a reissue project. then maybe the price would be something other than bourgeois vanity and then maybe remotely respectful of the original art form and its practitioners and how hard they had to work to pay for a little dope.

Like I said....stamp collecting...whoop-de-do.

I applaud you for the Avatar upgrade. Seeing you and ole Sandler was more ABSTRACT than I could take... heh. You win the prize for the most intriguing avatars by far. Obviously worth the pain from this vantage.

Now you need to take some shots of your own stuff!

btw, every time I write a post on audio to you specifically, you disappear and never see it. I think this has happened the last three or four questions you asked (besides the cartridge ones, which I( admit to being lazy - I might fire you an email on this).

Yes, I do sometimes space on seeing your replies....but I think maybe you spaced too, I will have to check back into that cartridge thread, although I am thinking now that the Blue Point Special might be too vulnerable with that exposed stylus, before you know it I would get my sweater caught on it and oop!

BTW, another question popped into my head for you. Have you seen/heard systems which used SETs for biamping and/or triamping? How were they? What about SET on the mids, PP for the bass, or something along those lines.

-C&S

The "Stamp Collecting" comment is pretty much right-on I think--but the "autograph hound" one seems off base. Plus, the best sounding version of this LP you're going to find is an original first-pressing, so if you have tons of cash sitting around, why not put it into rare Blue Notes--they have proven to be a VERY good investment to say the LEAST over the past twenty years (even if the market is "at the top" right now). I just saw someone pay $3700 for a Tina Brooks "True Blue" in August--a new record aa far as I know for a Blue Note.

Records are cooler that stamps anyway!

Records are way cooler than stamps and I agree about getting the great sound from the older vinyl, but it is like hot rod speed equipment, and like you say if you have oodles of cash then paying high prices for that last tiny improvement may be the way to go. I think the best justification, as you say, might be the investment angle, like any other collectible.

I would rather have THE music one way or another (CD or later vinyl pressings) than not have it al all. Fortunately I have lots of old goodies so I do not obsess about not having every title on mint first pressings. I certainly know other collectors who are obsessed in that way, and it can be contagious. Watch out.

I am currently in the throes of auction hell trying to convice some sellers to stop auction early, but unfortunately there are a handful of similarly inclined collectors, so it ends up being an auction through the email anyway. Personally I will usually spend the $$s on music I cannot get any other way. My perspective is as a musician/composer more than a collector collector. I do prize the great and valuable vinyl I do have, mostly from having obtained it years before all this escalation. I have never even been tempted to buy an old Blue Note on eBay. Just happy to have what I already have. But other rare, (and prospectively FRESH and great music to my ears) I will spring the $$s. Addicted to the hunt.

With the Blue Notes I never feel like my knowledge gives me an edge any more, other than years ago when I was willing to spend $20 a pop at collector shops. I am an elitist snob, and I don't want to be scuffling with those other later collectors at those crazy prices now. To me it is part of the game to find it BEFORE everyone knows what it is. When the hordes are ON IT , I am off to explore new territory.

-c&s

It's becasue of EVOLVING interests and tastes that I have braved the "collector" market in these crazy times. I can't just sit back and be happy with the records I already own--I seem to be always finding "new" stuff that gets me rolling. You couldn't give me a Baby Face Willette record 20 years ago--I was busy "discovering" Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Brookmeyer, Art Pepper, etc. But now I am a B-3 junkie and am willing to part with cash for rare records that I could have bought CHEAP way back when. I buy them on CD first and then look for the LPs at record meets, dealers and ebay, etc. to seek them out. But I have NEVER paid more than $250 for an LP and don't think I ever will.

By the way, speaking of Blue Note, Sam Rivers is going out on a mini-tour next month with stops in Chicago and Los Angeles as well as New York. He's 79 years old, so anyone in range should make the effort to hear him LIVE!!!

In answering that SET question; yes, it is a common use. In fact, some whole speakers systems are designed this way ala Avantgarde Uno, Duo, Trio - Oris 150/200 and Onken - etc. Most put low power SET amps on the horn section and use the self powered SS/or PP tube on the bottom end, which is housed in a separate unit.

Of course, a host of horn loons also bi-amp and tri-amp their horn systems. Hop onto the AA High Efficiency Speaker Forum for a look-see.

I generally like to run my speakers, whatver they may be, full range as I think it sounds more of a whole. Others differ here. Many feel running SET on the top end to be a great benefit as it takes away a lot of the strain from the SET amp and runs the top end with aplomb. As stated, I prefer the simpler approach. Adding an external crossover can be its own can of worms. Many do this and are VERY happy.

Allen,

Out of curiosity, do you have the book Blue Note "The Album Cover Art", edited by Graham Marsh, Felix Cromey, and Glyn Callingham? This particular Sonny Clark LP cover is given a full page presentation. Not that it's a reason to justify the auction price, just an interesting side note. I would suspect anyone who owns a copy of each LP in this book would need a fireproof, flood proof vault to protect them and an incredibly high value policy. (He should also be mandated to have a listening party once a year.)

For anyone into this era of Blue Note Jazz and it's history, this book is a must have.

Klipsch out.

I will lay odds that this album will never be played by the owner. We are out of the territory of buying music here and into the collectibles area fair and square.

My guess is that this album will be lovingly stored for posterity and if it does re-appear on the market it will be in a few years time for even more money.

I dont know but it may well be a very good investment - as long as it is not played.

I started to think on this. I dont think I own a single record that I wouldnt think twice about playing. I just am VERY careful about the handling and storage but besides that, I will play anything I own. Collecting records like stamps just doesnt interest me as much as listening to the music.

One thing that is not mentioned much within this forum is how people handle their records. I find that intelligent handling is far from common, even with vinyl lovers. A record with a 30-40 year history that has been handled, stored, and played with a good stylus/setup with some sense of care will be in amazing shape compared to the average vinyl. Holding a record properly can seemingly be a hit or miss duty for some. I can remember doing the training at the radio station and almost recoiling in horror at the way the average freak handled records. Anyone trained by me got a dressing down like no other if I caught the swine with ANYTHING touching the grooves, let alone their greasy fingers!

It's funny...the only way most of the young hip-hop/rap contingent views vinyl is as a musical device, meant to be manipulated with hands, fingers, super strong DJ needles designed for back-tracking at any speed. Watching a rap artist at a table is like watching slow death, sped up when needed....

I enjoy listening to jazz while I work. It makes work go fast and easy. So I have my best turntable and 2 channel system on a portable unit that I can set up right next to the cement mixer. I keep a collection of original mint Blue Notes (63rd st,) on a portable wagon that is chained up next to the mixer. I can lock the cabinet when I am on a lunch break, then when I return after a plate of spare ribs I grab one of those discs and slap it down on the turntable then go back to patting the cement down with my bare hands. Next I flip the LP over. My question is, are there any good ways to get this grease and cement finger prints off of the LP surface after the cement dries? I was using comet cleanser and a scouring pad but I have found that the eBay value goes down when I include this information in the description. Is there still time to bid on that Sonny Clark.......oops, I have to clean up this cement off my keyboard and mouse so I can snipe it.

-c7s

So, everyone chirp in here and tell us: What's the most you've ever paid for an LP?

Me? $300. Twice.

First one: Duke Jordan-- "Flight to Jordan" Blue Note 4046

(MINT cond.-- the only one I've ever seen--had to buy it!)

Second one: Art Pepper-- "The Return of Art Pepper" JazzWest JLP-10

(MINT virtually "unplayed" copy)

Foolish? Sure. Regrets? None.