Pictures of my Home Theater

Vladi

Finally finished - here are some pictures:

http://public.fotki.com/vddobrev/various/equipment/my_home_theater/

My living room is 15' by 15', what do you think of the arrangement?

Anything to improve (except the Quintets)?

I am just in love with it, I love it more than my ex-wife!

Every second of listening is so much pleasure.

P.S. I have some other picture on the site, please feel free to browse

Excellent.

The only thing you might consider doing is pulling that right speaker in closer to the sub and farther away for the side wall.

I can't bring up the pic of the left side. Is there a wall over there as well?

Ideally, you want to put some distance between the side walls and the speakers.

The reflected sound from those walls is bad for imaging.

Thank you for your comments!

deang, thanks for the advice -- I was considering the reflections, but if I move it closer to the sub, it won't be the same distance from the center to the left and right. And I cannot hear anything irregular. The SPL meter, however, measures about 1dB higher for the right speaker, not a big deal IMO.

There is no wall to the left, it is an open space to the corridor and the dining area.

Another concern I have is about the subwoofer level. When I did calibrate it with the SPL meter, I found out that the volume needs to be only 4 clicks up -- pretty low. However, I feel the sound better and like it better at 7-8 clicks at the 9 o'clock position, which is still pretty low, only about 1/4 of the total volume. I was thinking I might have a hearing problem in the lower frequencies... Or may be like things to shake more.

Vladi

fabulousfrankie,

Thanks for the comment.

I really like it, I tried the Denon 2802, 3802. Also tried Sony STR-DE885, STR-DA3ES, and finally chose Sony STR-DA5ES.

Denon 2802 sounded too harsh, plus that ugly remote.

Denon 3802 sounded good, but I was confused how to use it, not very straight forward.

Sony STR-DE885 sounded plain horrible, too much distortion and noise.

Sony STR-DA3ES sounded good, but lacked DD EX, PLII, and Neo.

Sony STR-DA5ES sounded best for me, had all the features I need, nice remote and easy to use, second remote for a second room, and got a sweet deal for $799 from the Good Guys.

Regards,

Vladi

fabulousfrankie,

The 4ES replaces the 3ES, I have seen it in Good Guys, haven't listened to it, but I think 5ES is better - for one thing, it has an extra amp for another set of stereo speakers, and another stereo pre-amp where I have my headphones plugged, or hook up to a 3-rd room amp. All the main, 2-nd room, and 3-rd room can select different sources, so three sources can play at the same time. I like that.

vddobrev said:

Denon 3802 sounded good, but I was confused how to use it, not very straight forward.

Yeah, that Denon 3802 was pretty complex to figure out. I was able to figure mine out and I really like how it sounds with my Reference 7 speakers (I wonder if my computer science degree helped here 6.gif). Granted, it was also a big step up from that old Yamaha RV-702 reciever that I had before (coupled with Infinity and Yamaha speakers).

deang,

Thanks for the calming note. Is it true that it is more difficult to measure the PL of lower frequencies, thus the SPL meter could be wrong. Because to me the sub and the fronts sound similar in PL, yet the SPL meter measures the sub about 20db louder.

I only have a RSW-10, and I wonder how SVS owners set up their subs, what readings do you measure on the SPL of the sub?

Vladi