I have not but one key here is the point about relaxed midrange.  You may be in the camp that would not like the Ti sound as much as the original.  That said the Forte III is noted as a very balanced speaker so this may not be an issue for you.  

You really can't listen to anybody on the comparison as you will have your own priorities.  I would seek out a dealer and have a listen.

• Like 1

Either are great and I've owned both though not at the same time. Have new Forte III's and don't find the tweeter objectionable at all-though have a friend who did and removed the upgrade from his Forte II's as well.  I think it depends upon how much bass you have/need/want (subs aside).  Chorus beats Forte in that area, but I'm finding with proper placement which has taken some experimentation that the Forte III has enough for me-but i'm sub adverse if I can help it-mostly for esthetic reasons. You are fortunate to have a way to try them out in a dealership, I was fortunate to listen in a fellow forum members home.  When you go to the dealer, take some music that you like and are familiar with-I find that really helps.

Ti does sound different, in both mids and treble then phenolic.  Phenolic has a warmer sound which may not be liked by all.  Just like I like my soft dome Morels over many metal domes.  They all have their signature and attributes, thus requirements for damping.

In tweeters that are only crossed in at fairly high frequencies, 7khz vs 600hz, there is a good argument for TI.  Getting into the midrange, damping and overall design to come to a warmer output is the key.  I like voices to sound like real voices.....  Cymbals need to have a shimmer, voices don't   Might be why I only like certain panels in Martin Logans.  YMMV though.

45 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Lack of bass during demo definitely caused by placement. Read the FIII owners manual and recommended placement is 2"-10" from wall. 

Having them directly in front of another pair of speakers is probably the worst thing  you could do. I liked them around 15-20" from the wall behind them. This gave plenty of impact, but helped with midbass definition too.

Shakey

Been using the TI mids in my Chorus IIs.  The Phenolic are definitely warmer and softer.  After having them 3 weeks, i switched the Chorus II into the living room and the Chorus I with all original phenolic in my smaller room with acoustic panels.  I couldn't decide if i liked the phenolic better for music, but i could tell the Chorus II with Ti's sounded better than ever in the large living room which i usually hate for music due to high angled ceilings and open areas/windows/mirrors.  The Chorus I with phenolic had a very laid back sound, almost too polite.  Marantz warmth + Ti has been a good experience for me.  If i end up with a different sounding brand, i love the fact that it's so easy to switch back to phenolic to see if it's better matched. It's because of that i'll probably go full Ti for the Chorus I too and keep all my original phenolics just in case.

Would love to hear a Forte III just to know if i'm truly missing out on anything. Still never heard a Cornwall III or Heresy III either.