question on klipsch rf3 II

ts316

hi guys,i am planning on upgrading my home theater speakers and in the later future replace my pioneer vsxd3s receiver with a pioneer elite.my question is on the performance of the klipsch rf3II.how do they sound?how do they perform near walls?(my front speakers are about 4 inches away from the side walls of my parlor-i cannot move them farther away from the walls).i am not to familier with the klipsch horn tweeters but am interested in the design.the nearest klipsch dealer is 100 miles away from my town.dont think i will get a chance on hering them before i purchase them online.i am also planning on getting Rc3II center and rcw 5 inwall for surrounds.i am planning to keep my klipsch sw-10 because i think it sounds great.i will apppreciate any inputs, comments or ideas on my speaker choice.thank you....tim

I have a pioneer reciever, and am soon planing on buying a pair of rb-3s. I don't think theres anyway you will be disapointed with rf3IIs. To me they sound phenominal. When I listen to them, I hear things I've never heard out of my JBLs. The RF3IIs are great for both movies and music. As far as placement goes, I'm not sure what Klipsch recomends, but I'd just experiment and see what you get. Position the speakers wherever they sound best to you. I'm reding a book right now that I found very helpful on this topic: "The Complete Guide to High End Audio". THIs book does an exccelant Job of explaning almost everything(500 pages long).

Tim-

Have you ever heard Klipsch speakers before? I see that you have a klipsch sub, but what are your mains now? As you might know, Klipsch speakers are "forward" and "dynamic" and to keep their forwardness controlled, matching components is very important. Personally, I love this type of sound (but the mids could be richer) but its not for everyone. I have placed my RF3s about one ft from the side walls, I then tested to see where i got the best sound. I ended up setting them about 1.5ft from the side wall and 2 ft from the back wall. They definately needed some breathing room to have a more balanced sound. But they don't sound bad when they are closer, but the base is decreased among other things. Perhaps someone who has them set closer could speakup.

-Dave

thanks for the replies,as for my main speaks , i have a b&w center channel(not sure of the model # , 2-5.25" mids and a tweeter)the fronts are mb quart(1 tweeter and 2 -5.25" mids each tower)this is a diy box i constructed with car speaks.rear fill are 1 tweeter and a 6.5 mid.they sound good with the upper frequencies but the midbass is almost non existant.they sound good playing digital dvd movies but when i play cd music they distort a little at high volume and just dosent sound right.im hoping the speaker upgrade will sound alot better then my setup right now.believe it or not my surround system impresses alot of people.ill try to get some pics up soon.thank you again

I have the whole Refence 3 series. No sub but I am working on it. But I can say the bass on the RF-3IIs are very good for there size. I played the Scopion King on DVD and the explosion at the end was loud, low and, clean. My Mom 3 rooms down had no problem hearing it and I wasn't really even trying em. I didn't even have my reciver set 1/4 up. I can admit I love these things. The sounds sound effortless and sometimes I even forget I am listening to speakers.

I looked for a long time before I bought speakers and the RF-3II's and RC-3II is what I ended up with. They are extremely clear speakers. I 100% absolutely love them for HT. I love them for music too, but I have to admit they are a tad bit better with movies. These speakers have yet to distort on me or clip. I play them at all levels including extremely loud levels for long periods of time. I can't say that I am disappointed with them at all. They are also in my opinion one of the best looking speakers around. The only thing they lack is big bass. They however are not designed for big bass so you will want a sub, which I believe you said you have. They have bass, but not the levels that I look for, but I'm a bass freak. Get them, and your friends will be even more impressed.

I would only add that though your placement close to the sidewalls is an issue, it's worse if you DON'T go with a horn loaded tweeter. The horn will give you a degree of controlled directivity completely absent from orthodox designs.

A simple solution would be to add an acoustic foam panel between the wall and speaker. If they are toed in considerably, then move the panel down -- further away from the speaker.

All in all -- who cares? The RF3's embarrass anything else in the same price range.

BTW, and this is just my opinion -- but the RB5's actually sound better, come in real wood, and since you have sub...

You'll also save on shipping charges.