Is this common? I am hearing new things in music I know well (or so I thought...)

Oicu812

On 9/6/2018 at 9:52 AM, Chris A said:

See the following PWK article from 1970 (Audio magazine) that describes the greater portion of the "why": The Mud Factor.pdf

Note that properly done horn-loaded loudspeakers have generally inaudible levels of modulation distortion over direct radiating loudspeakers, even at very high SPL--a fact that is consistently overlooked by audiophile magazines and other self-appointed audio equipment rating "experts"--because they don't recognize that it's the difference in modulation distortion levels that they hear when comparing horn-loaded to direct radiating.

Also note that bass modulation distortion is at least an equal factor in loudspeaker clarity as midrange modulation distortion.  You should try to hear a pair of La Scalas, Belles, Klipschorns, or Jubilees, all with horn-loaded bass bins to understand the full meaning  of "clarity".  This is also true of the multiple entry horns of Danley Sound Labs and the earlier Sound Physics Labs.  Clarity is the distinguishing feature of all these loudspeakers.

Chris

Yep, and I have owned them all and still own/listen to several, upstairs and downstairs. Best of the best.