New SPL-120 vs R-112SW

tzip

I think you are right unfortunately.

Klipsch apparently has more interest in marketing than quality.

i could not agree more....repackaging the same sub in the same box and calling it an SPL sub, using the same abbreviation used to designate sub drivers designed for volume over sound quality -- in the car world there are spl and sq subs.  you dont buy an spl sub to have a high quality theater sub.

SVS is going to continue eating Klipschs lumch and they deserve to,

A 12" sub in a good size box should be tuned to 20 imo.  24 and likely 3db down at 24 is weak.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wish klipsch would make a proper replacement for the RSW15.   I'll be honest in stating I haven't heard their newer subs,  but based on the feedback, I don't even think I would consider them.   Not happy to say that (luckily, I can't say that about MOST Klipsch products).  People can have whatever opinion of Klipsch they want, but I allow the music to do the talking for friends and family if they become curious.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Older topic, but still relative.   The SPL-120 can use the WA-2 for wireless ability.  Based on what I have read in blind testing you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.   I just picked up a SPL-120 for $399.   Most of the reviews that compare it to other brands "not much more" are out-dated.   Most of it's competition is now $300-500 more (like the KEF Kube 12b and SVS options). 

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 3:35 PM, alkemyst said:

The SPL-120 can use the WA-2 for wireless ability. 

The R-112SW also has the WA-2 port. In fact it appears they have the exact same plate amp and driver. The SPL-120 looks to be a superficial change to the R-112SW cabinet. The RP Series RP-1200SW re-introduced the cabinet styling of the R-112SW, so maybe they wanted to separate the lines by styling.

14 hours ago, Old Salt said:

The R-112SW also has the WA-2 port. In fact it appears they have the exact same plate amp and driver. The SPL-120 looks to be a superficial change to the R-112SW cabinet. The RP Series RP-1200SW re-introduced the cabinet styling of the R-112SW, so maybe they wanted to separate the lines by styling.

Very possible, my SPL-120 hits way better than the R-120SW it replaced, my wife actually worries if we are pissing off the neighbors at times with it.  I keep the levels down after hours.  Not using the WA-2 feature now, but nice to have it later when I am no longer in an apartment.  Containing ultra low frequency response would be difficult.

I have 2x R-112SW and they definitely put out solid bass in my room. The 110/112/115 also featured a plinth that matched then current RP series (RP-260, RP-280, etc) and were included as the sub in RP Series "Home Theater Speaker Packs", while the R-10/R-12 were packaged with the Reference Series. It seems Klipsch didn't think they were quite good enough for the RP badge. Of course, the new RP-1200/1400/1600 are certainly a step up, but I'm more than happy with what I have.