La Scala Mods

ajsons

45 minutes ago, planetred said:

The c15w has a flat smooth voice. Nothing sounds quite like it. My friend and I tried an eminence in his classic, delta pro15a, but it had too much voice.

Wish I could help you further.

I'm that friend and while there's nothing like the C15w the delta pro wasn't too shabby though it did have to much voice (voice as in bright vocals/ typical guitar speaker). I've wondered if a fancy electronic crossover with a steep slope could compensate but the simplicity of the first order three way crossover is nice and simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm that friend and while there's nothing like the C15w the delta pro wasn't too shabby though it did have to much voice (voice as in bright vocals/ typical guitar speaker). I've wondered if a fancy electronic crossover with a steep slope could compensate but the simplicity of the first order three way crossover is nice and simple.
For sure , decent c15w would be unobtanium here. I've a vague feeling another poster said in another thread that the kappa 15c didn't model well In the classic. I need to brush up on horn response I think.

Got a mini DSP nano to play with once I've decided what I'm doing

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

This is the latest casualty. It broke between the upper and lower spiders when violently overdriven by a friend, accidentally.

Wish there were more cones available for the c15w. I think I used up the last four a couple of years ago. 

If anyone comes across any please let me know.

20181031_224642.thumb.jpg.a852b6c5e4214f07de2681dcac68639a.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, ajsons said:

Here's the overlay. Let's see what he did. The dash lines are from the Corrected Classic drawing.

The enclosure is now a 1/8 of an inch longer. (Why????)

The reflector moved an inch or so. (Why?????)

The doghouse apex is now taller. He probably didn't know that there is a triangular wood block there where the rear panel and the front panel of the doghouse meet, and he was using one of those one-sheeter plans from University. Can't blame him for this mistake.

Now the motorboard and the front panel of the doghouse are extended a little bit forward, changing their dimensions.

The question remains. What was corrected?

Nada. In the drafting world, these changes are personal preferences.

Everybody has one of those when building a project. You follow the plan, but somewhere, you say, "Here, I didn't follow the plan but did it this way".

Now let's see if this correction incorrected anything?

The Classic maintains a 1 inch clearance in the inside perimeter of the front of the enclosure. For the grille assembly. Some people don't want the grille, so it's ok for him.. (I want that grille!!) He has a 3/4 clearance from the dimension change.

The middriver has no clearance from the doghouse apex. Maybe he doesn't want to use the cobreflex. Some people do.

Overall, there's no benefit gained from this drawing. Like I said, it's personal preference.

Now Nico had some great personal preferences on his set. Great job, Nico!!

What do we do with this Corrected drawing?

(I think it should be called the Incorrected Drawing.)

SCAN0006.JPG

In general, Jeff's version matches the dimensions provided by the published university plans for the classics with the overall length being 40.625".

The motorboard in his drawing matches as well at 18.375" deep.

The reflector is listed at 12.75"x30".

One issue with the published plans is that if you use the dimensions listed for the roof of the doghouse you will end up with two boards trying to occupy the same space.

This is because the plans list the bevel angle at 65 degrees.

Changing that to 67 degrees as Jeff did makes the edges of the board line up perfectly as seen in his plans.

Otherwise you will see something like the attached picture shows.

This changes the angle between the doghouse roof pieces by 4 degrees.

It sounds like different versions were built and published by University over the years.

top-of-doghouse-65-degrees.PNG

top-of-doghouse-67-degrees.PNG

On 11/2/2018 at 7:53 AM, Marvel said:

Does anyone have the horn response model already entered for the Classic? I have a list of a few different drivers I would like to plug in, but have never put in the horn info.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156597-university-classicdean-horn-profile-need-driver-choice-help/&do=findComment&comment=1864766

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156597-university-classicdean-horn-profile-need-driver-choice-help/&do=findComment&comment=1865145

• Like 1

Edgar, thanks for that link. Now I will have to dive into HR to see what all the labels mean. Do those values for the C15W match up with the values that had been posted by Armando (derived by someone who tested a pair). It was a scan of an article.

Edit: Just went up the thread and saw xrk971's posts and specs

8 hours ago, ajsons said:

I hate when that happens.

Those C-15W's are now very expensive. I believe there's one on ebay now for almost $500.

There's a pair for $500... I would be more worried  because of their age, with repair parts harder to come by..