Impact of receivers / processors with built in EQ

pzannucci

I use the Audessey with Dmax on my Marantz. Seems to smooth out my room very well. There are different versions, that could be a factor. I also had to run it quite a few times to get it where it is now. It’s not the be all and end all for all rooms but it works for mine.

9 hours ago, Max2 said:

Do you guys run the dynamic EQ,  straight Audyssey or use the Flat settings?   

I use Audyssey FLAT 90% of the time.  Sometimes Audyssey Reference (straight Audyssey) can help if a recording is harsh.   I hate Dynamic EQ as much as I love Audyssey.  To me, DEQ often really screws things up.  To describe it in audiophile words, it kills the "air," it can be muddy, it sounds restricted, and it is somehow predictable ... it is as though I can hear it working ... poorly.  Fortunately, I don't need much Fletcher-Munson-ish compensation, because I play music (mostly classical and jazz) at concert levels, and I play movies at about 5 to 7 dB below reference (very brief peaks of 98 to 100 dB from the main channels -- when called for -- and 108 to 110 dB through the sub).  Like almost everyone on the Audyssey thread on AVS, I ended up turning the subwoofer up a few dB, AFTER calibration, because Audyssey is very conservative with the bass.  Since I never use DEQ, bass and treble controls are available to me, if I need them.

The several pre/pro and AVR manuals I've seen all do a terrible job of describing how to set up Audyssey or how it works.  This is a much better source:

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

And as a side note on Marantz.  I get the best quality with digital files using HEOS app and streaming directly from my NAS or from Tidal.  I found when streaming from my NVIDIA shield to the Marantz the sound is not quite as good....Guess I need to get a dedicated digital streamer....