If either of these amplifiers is right.......

tube fanatic

This is a very fitting editorial in view of all the recent discussion on here regarding helping newbies make appropriate equipment choices.  It states the case quite well:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/if-either-these-amplifiers-right

Some of the comments in the threads reminded me of a conversation I once had with the owner of the industrial power supply company at which I worked who was a design engineer for Crown long ago.  His feeling is that if an amplifier measures well, it doesn't matter if it sounds like crap because it is "accurate."   He would never listen to a tube amp (although I did find some old Dynaco stuff in the equipment locker!!!) no  matter how great it sounded because it wasn't "accurate."  Oh well.....

Maynard

Always liked Dave Halfler’s stuff. But back then - it was Dahlquist DQ-10’s. 

He’s saying you can’t have it both ways.

I build my systems for subjectively pleasing sound. I want to enjoy what I’m hearing. I have no desire to suffer with bad sound that is “accurate”. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deang said:

I build my systems for subjectively pleasing sound. I want to enjoy what I’m hearing. I have no desire to suffer with bad sound that is “accurate”. 

This is the whole crux of the matter!  Sure, within reason, specs are important.  But, in the final analysis, all that matters is that the subjective listening experience is what the person wants.  I often think about the original Darling SET amplifier which had very high second harmonic distortion at its full 3/4 watt output (I think it was somewhere around 15%).  Yet, there are guys who consider it one of the best sounding SETs they have ever experienced.  Who can argue with this reasoning? 

Maynard

• Like 1

When I owned Jubilees and Crown amps, I’m sure it was mathematically solid - but with my poor source material, it could be painful. 

I found Chris’ thread on fixing source material fascinating, but I just don’t have the time and energy for it. The reality? I no longer have a commitment to the hobby like I did in the past.

I don’t want to have to exhaust myself or go bankrupt getting enjoyable sound.   

So, I leverage my knowledge. I understand my source material, and I know what components I need to use to maximize my enjoyment.