HenrikTJ

On 1/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, codewritinfool said:

Never, ever drip solder on anything.

I was helping dad with some copper plumbing putting in a new bathroom on the second floor.  I'm on the bottom holding an 8-foot section of pipe, vertically, while he sweats the top connection....

........45-years later I still have a scar on the back of my right hand.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:19 AM, codewritinfool said:

REMOVE solder.
REMOVE heat.

At the same time. Not so critical with wires and connectors but with semi conductors it is.  If the iron is left on the item being soldered after removal of solder the temperature rises dramatically and can damage the device.

But yea connectors are for convenience, service ability, adaptability etc...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just finished doing ClaudeJ1 's Super Heresy 2.0 (Baby Cornwall II mod.).

Soldered the existing Klipsch wiring directly to my new Tweets and woofers at the speaker terminals. Easy Peasy.

On the Eminence 3012HO's, I was appalled at how the little wires to the voicecoil were attached to the banana screw terminals. I just stuck the Klipsch wires through the little hole, bent it over and soldered all of the wires to the metal terminal tabs. Then, used alcohol to get rid of the rosin residue. Cleaned up nicely and they now sound great.

I did not change the original terminations on the rear terminal strips.  Wasn't going to go there. My leads are tinned however, as mentioned in a previous post.

If someone does go with spades or quick disconnects there are nice ones available at reasonable costs. You have to know the size of post connecting to and the gauge of the wire being used. Or buy a bunch.

They are made in the USA and constructed from copper. Definitely softer than the audiophile types I have tried. They were brass. The ones from Home Depot, Auto Zone, and other places may be steel. They are very hard material. 

If looking search eBay, spades or quich disconnects and USA connectors should return hundreds.