High Pass Filtered Subwoofer?

Peter P.

Is there a subwoofer that has an adjustable high pass output?

I just assumed the adjustable low pass filter on most subwoofers was like a crossover, feeding below frequency "X" to the sub and above frequency "X" through line level outputs and on to the am and the main speakers. Apparently I'm wrong.

I don't see any Klipsch subwoofers with line level outputs, to send a high pass filtered signal back to my amp. One subwoofer I'm looking at has both line inputs and outputs but the outputs are fixed at 80Hz.

I was hoping to pair a subwoofer with my Heresy's and cross over from the sub to the Heresy's at their low frequency cutoff of about 50Hz, essentially running them full-range, to get all that Heresy goodness. Unless I find a sub with high pass filtering, it ain't gonna happen.

2 hours ago, willland said:

Both my Revel B15 and SVS SB13 Plus have high pass filters.  None of my Klipsch subs do.

Find yourself a Paradigm X-30 and convert any subwoofer.  I have owned two of these and they work great.

Image result for Paradigm X-30

Bill

I have one and love it.  Unfortunately they're getting harder and harder to find. 

It's been a while, but about a decade or so ago, it was pretty obvious that there as a degradation in the sound quality by shooting the full signal through the sub. That may not be the case anymore, but I doubt anyone is using anything but electrolytics in the signal path in those things.

Thanks for the suggestion, willand. I may have to cave-in and accept an 80Hz high pass to the Heresy's, but I can always keep an eye out for the Paradigm. I see there are none currently on eBay.

If I used the Paradigm, could I hook it up per the following, with my integrated amp's pre in/out RCA stereo jacks:

preamp output > equalizer input > equalizer output > Paradigm low level inputs > Paradigm subwoofer outputs > subwoofer line level inputs

and

Paradigm high pass outputs > preamp input.

That should provide a 50Hz, high pass signal back to the integrated amp, where it would go to the Heresy's via the speaker wires, no?