a good headphone amp?

prodj101

what would be a really good headphone amp in the area of 200 dollars? I am also thinking about building a small tube headphone amp. I have looked a little on websites, but I'm really looking more for the help of someone like justin, who seems to be a headphone know it all.

a good headphone amp? not many below $200 unless you build them, and even still they are hard to find.

the best you can buy are pretty much the Headroom amps, starting at $650, they are not cheap (go to >$1000)

A great alternative, and often said to be comparable to the Headroom Max is the Dynamic Headphone Amp, $479. Well WELL worth that money.

Before the Headroom amps became the audiophile staple, it was the Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 (or ns2) that was the creme of the crop. Used to sell for $689, now you can find them for $199. Excellent amps. I am about to pick one up myself I believe.

If you want to make your own, what cans do you have? Some sound good with tubes, pure heaven, while others just don't. Sennheiser sound excellent with tubes and solid state, where i personally like grado's on solid states more than tubes. koss and sony and whatnot really just don't deserve a nice amp IMHO.

Read this first before building one, just some great info.

http://headwize.powerpill.org/projects/showproj.php?file=opamp_prj.htm

Kevin Gilmore is probably the best amp designer around. If you would like his contact info, ... well darn, i lost it with everything else. I will find it some how.

lucky you, he emailed me today and it was still on my server.

i will PM his email to you.

i fyou dobuild a tube amp, sendone to me, i will buy it from you if i love it, and it is reasonably cheap hehe. i tried to make one but just burn my hand severly and decided to stick to solid state. LoL3.gif

Oh yeah. Just plug those brain phones into this baby. Fix ya right up.

Yes, a single machine, a cube 20 miles on each side. You ought to see my new mind. Up there in lights. Bigger than his now. Morbius was too close to the problem. The Krell had completed their project. Big machine ... no instrumentalities ... true creation. But the Krell forgot one thing. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.

510330-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell !!!

Sorry. Further information is forbidden on this planet. Vroooooooooooom

i have been doing headphones for years, but stopped once i got my ht, i have a really nice headroom headphone amp for sale, actually, i am looking to sell my grado rs 2's and an headroom supreem headphone amp, and 10' of teds excellent headphone extension cable, all interconnects, and a carrying case, for $40012.gif

Oh cluless. You must of heard of our R&D work on the new Hot-Diggity-Dog-Im-Gone model.

We wont be releasing any info on that brown-out-special until we have completed Beta tests presently being conducted in a few participating state run facilities around the country. We are bzzzzzzzy collating the data now.

Ooooch ! Ouch ! icon97.gif Ooooch! Ouch!

Who said Krell,who? Ah Krell the king of super solid state monster amps.Ah yes Krell the one and only Krell.

If I win the lottery(I wont as I dont play LOL)I go and order seven of these monsters for my ultimate HT system.Eight Krell MRS subs and a complete set of Dynaudio Evidence speakers,add two stacked Vidikron VisionOne projectors and a Faroudja line quadrupler and a nice DaLite screen.Hmmm

Oh yes and a Linn Sondek CD player and a Ayre DVD player.Now we are starting to talk oh lets not forget a Mark Levinson No. 40 Media Console as the heart of this master system.A 100K in room treatment and voila a economical budget system! 3.gif

HeadRoom MAX is THE beast(best dammit) thing since sliced bread with HD600's or RS-1's its a eargasm deluxe.Its almost illegal to have so much fun with headpones. LOL

HeadRoom headpone amps go to almost $4000(for a dual mono Headroom Max),anything over the MAX is pure luxury.

In the inexpensive headphone amps the Creek OBH-11SE is a good little toy.Sounds quite good,I now use this one with my PC.

BBB-

Don't worry about comprimising the R&D work...We are both INVISIBLE (Way cool huh?)...OH yeah...I forgot to tell you...I lost my decoder for the flompies and the smilies...but eventually I'll unearth them, just another yellow pad full of random thoughts and doodles. ...OH...YEAH...Just dont tell anybody about Elvis and the wedding....VIVA LAS VEGAS! and Gourmet Garage has ordered a gross of the doggers......Uncle Fester seems to have things under control....but the young Klipschster seems to want to fry more than filaments......NOW ITS TIME TO TURN THE MUSIC UP LOUD....and CRANK UP THE SUBWOOFER

Sorry Folks....

Less has been moved to a private facility for an indeterminate observation period...She will be incommunicado for an unspecified amount of time

Clu

Holey Moley Ears! With a system like that all you would have to do is throw a bunch of kernels on the floor and the corn will be popping at your feet. Badda Bing. Badda Boom!

Cluless: If you you have any trouble with the little critters I'll fix you right up and down with some.2.gif

Prodj -

The best place to scout info on headphone info and perhap those unloading their old stuff is at....

http://Www.Head-fi.org/

http://www.headwize.com/

I myself have the ASL MG Head - Tube based Headphone amp. Has OTL too. I use that amp with the Senn HD-600s and it is very nice combo. Good tubes make a difference.

Here is a link to mini review and tube rolling guide by Nick Dangerous...

http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/mghead/index.htm

Good luck...

- tb