CD Player as a Preamp?

speed3

I was wondering, since my cd player has a volume control, could I use it temporarily as a preamp for a tube amp purchase until I find/purchase a permanent preamp? The reason I ask this is that I would rather invest the least amount possible to see how I like it before diving in completely. I am also not too interested in finding a "deal" on vintage integrated's.

I have another question regarding how to use my main speakers with my home theater and a 2 channel setup. Since I would have 2 sets of speaker wires, would I have to switch them out when changing for 2 channel to home theater?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Typically, a CD player with a volume control will work when connected to a power amplifier. Whether it sound better than using a pre-amp between the CD player and amp ia another question.

I've used several CD players with volume controls ranging from the Wadia 860 ($7500) to the Vecteur Variation ($800). In all cases, I've found that I got better musicality when using a pre-amp. Don't ask me why as it seems counter intuitive that you get better sound when adding extra interconnects, circuitry, etc., into the signal chain. That's just the way it is.

FWIW, looking at your other components, I'd opt for a tube pre-amp.

Regards,

Mike

I agree near 100% with Mike's statements. The volume pot is usually of significantly less quality as well and cuts the resolution. Always opt for the non-variable output if your player comes with that option or run your volume pot WIDE open to impart the least amount of harm to the signal.

In answer to your question, however, it is perfectly fine to use this control in lieu of a preamp or some sort. Many do this in preference to a poor preamp and to bypass the beast. So as a temp measure, go for it.

I also agree with Mike on the rec for a tube preamp, preferably of the best quality you can find. The preamp is one of the most important pieces of your system, if not THE most important piece of gear.

kh

I think Mike's Wadia uses digital volume control, I have no idea about the Vecteur Variation.

My Theta Miles has analog volume control, and in conversations with Theta they said "We tried to make the volume as unobtrusive as possible".

I think they succeeded.

Were it not for a short listen to a...a... AVA Transcendent 7 preamp the other day, I would think the CD->power amp to be the best configuration for transparency, given the CD player capable of doing and adequate job of attenuation.

I cannot speak for the Yamaha, but portents are bad....

This was your savior in the preamp world? You now an Audio by Van Alstine loon?

fetvalec.gif

I do love the fact they finally got a new site although I lament the fact that I didnt do it! Still, I am surprised you find this your savior in the preamp stakes. Where did you hear it and what was it used with?

Also, when are you getting your operation? You know, the one to help with the confusion that drugs don't seem to aid? heh....

I tried the "CD Direct" thing on several occasions. I didn't care for it much. The music just seems too "cutting" or incisive. At the same time, it seems a little flat -- like it's not quite "all there". It's difficult to articulate. I just know when I put the preamp back in the loop, the music really opens up and moves closer to the listening position.

Another problem is that most CD players have mediocre analog sections including power supplies and subpar OP amps. Using them to drive the signal often results in mediocre sound because of these factors as well. In fact, many upgraders do nothing but address the analog (better op amps) and power supply sections in CD players with much better results. When you buy a inexpensive CD player that has all the latest 24bit bells and whistles, a lot of times you are getting a horrible analog and power supply section that does much to degrade the overall sound. As said in the past, there is A LOT MORE going on in a CD player besides the DAC.

----------------

On 10/22/2002 6:52:43 AM speed3 wrote:

I have another question regarding how to use my main speakers with my home theater and a 2 channel setup. Since I would have 2 sets of speaker wires, would I have to switch them out when changing for 2 channel to home theater?

----------------

Yes, you will find yourself swapping speaker leads when you switch from HT to 2-channel. There are a few of us hybrids that are doing that. I switch mine at the speaker end using banana plugs (requires 2 sets of speaker wire). Some switch theirs at the amp end, using one set of speaker wire. Whichever you do is dictated more by convenience than anything else, I imagine. It is easier to get to the back of my speakers than the back of my amps.

DD