Christmas times a-cummin !!!

T2K

My wife said this morning "its gonna take you a while to clean all those records" as I hand cleaned a coupla LP's. So now I'm considering surprising her this Christmas with a brand new record cleaning machine! That's just the kinda guy I am!

Sure would like to hear any comments from those of you that own either a VPI 16.5 or a Nitty Gritty machine.

As a side note, using a homebrew cleaning concoction that I read here along with a sponge seemed to yield better results than a hand cleaning kit that I recently purchased. We're talking garage sale buys here! Any comments along those lines are appreciated too.

Merry Christmas!

Keith

I have the VPI 16.5 and like it a lot. It's totally industrial and heavy duty ie LOUD, strong, and built pretty solid. It always has performed very weill for me, the only downside is that you cant go on super long record cleaning binges for an hour or more as it can get pretty hot. You really are supposed to give it a break after 20 min or so. It is VERY simple to use and once you get the whole routine down, you can fly with it.

The powered turntable is pretty damn strong resisting pressure while working the cleaning brush. The vacuum is VERY strong as well and will scare your cat to the other side of the house! The arm tube felt lasts quite a while and parts/pads replacement is easy.

I have had this machine since the 80s and it has not missed a beat.

I happen to prefer the 16.5 to the Nitty GRitty I used but I cant remember the model and I only tried it once in a friend's system to clean my record. Again, I will say that the 16.5 is an "industrial quality" machine and is still going strong after 17 years or so.

Still, I would throw those ducats into an amp/preamp combo but that's just me. On the other hand, if you have to get a record cleaning machine, you cant go wrong with the VPI 16.5.

kh

ps- Please dont say "Merry Christmas" in October! heh... IT's bad enough to hear it before Thanksgiving, let along the ensuing 200000 commercials. But, it seems Christmas is "coming" early....

ttK,

I've got a VPI 16.5 and am impressed with it. The construction quality is first class, the mechanism is very solid, the vacuum is quite strong (but somewhat loud) and spare parts are readily available. It's very easy to use but you have to do the scrubbing part yourself, VPI's top model is fully automatic but will set you back over $900.00. I can do my own scrubbing to keep $450.00 in my pocket! I hunt down LP's at yard sales and flea markets so cleaning is a must prior to playing them but there are some real gems still out there just waiting for a bath. I got my 16.5 from Audio Advisor when they had a sale going and a free shipping deal, saved me enough money to buy plenty of inner and outer sleeves for new acquisitions. I couldn't tell you anything about the other brands but if you get a VPI you'll probably like it.

You guys have nasty minds! I spelled the word like it sounds in the old song. Oh well.

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll get the VPI because they do appear industrial strength and they appear to less expensive than the medium to upper end Nitty Gritty's. With the money I save I can buy several tube amps and a preamp.

Keith

Keith,

I'll pitch one for the other side. I have the Nitty Gritty Mini Pro-2 (Oak) and it is their top of the line machine ($900). I guess the one advantage it has over the top of the line VPI is it does both sides at one time. It is fully automatic and takes about 30 seconds to do each album. I have cleaned 40 albums at a time and then let it rest for 10 minutes, and then I'll do 40 more.

I bought mine used from Audiogon for $450 and am very happy with the purchase. I have cleaned about 200 of my albums so far (I ran out of the VRP sleeves) and have 400 to go. Being that I am lazy, I opted for the fully automatic unit, but their 1.5 and 2.5 machines look like a good deal if you can find them used...

Mike

record_clean.jpg

Mike, I think both of these machines are good. I will tell you why I think the manual VPI 16.5 is the better choice in comparison with the Nitty Gritty models.

The Nitty Gritty machines do not support the record fully with an entire PLATTER underneath, a platter that is connected to a VERY high torque motor. With really stubborn and dirty records, you actually end up having to take the fibre brush after applying the liquid, and really use some serious cleaning motions with some pressure on the vinyl. IT sounds scary but it is actually fine and called for on some used purchases. The 16.5 is used by more public institutions like libraries etc since it is so industrial and allows one the ultimate in control with the brush and application (The first place I ever saw one was the UNC-CH University library, ironically enough). I have found the automatic record machines dont always do the deepest cleaning.

The fact that the 16.5 has full size turntable under that record really allows you to do an amazing job, and a thorough one at that. Now I admit, you are going to go a lot faster on the auto Nitty Gritty, and it does do an excellent job on most less problematic LPs, but I really like the total flexibility and industrial nature, design of the VPI. The platter motor is SO strong, that you can actually bear down quite a bit, something that had some in handy with some of the horror albums I have done from friends with more serious stains and buildup.

kh