Best sub for $625???

elgrillo

I was looking at the RSW-10, and also the svs subs, but I don't know where to go to hear them? What is the best sub(any brand) for that money? Also I am a noob, and I was reading orange peels thread on blowing his driver (sounds like that is what he did) and I am now concerned with the whole calibration issue. Should that be a big concern, with either the RSW or the SVS'S? Lastly to power a subwoofer do I have to get a seperate amp for it, or is there an amp built into it to power it? I thought that they had there own amp inside, but now svs site has laid some doubts into my head because they have these package amplifier deals with the subs.

If you get the PCi series from SVS it's powered, so no need for an external amp. I would go with the 20-39 PCi from SVS for the money you are looking to spend, HUGE power and digs REAL deep, much deeper than the RSW's.

And as for me killing the driver, yep it was due to wrong calibration and a little too much volume 9.gif Also I was watching LOTR's and that movie is sooo on the HOT side of the bass area, that coupled with me calibrating my sub on the hot side gave me the ol' bottoming out of the driver and a rattle after that. SVS did send me a new driver free of charge and all is well now, so they do stand by their products even though it was my fault. You won't find many companies that give the HUGE amount of customer service like SVS.

Also, ALL RSW subs from Klipsch are powered.

el,

since our profiles don't list the equipment that we have, I do not know what you are looking for? what speakers do you have? how big is the room? do you want a sub for music or movies? do you want deep bass or punchy bass or loud bass? would you consider big and ugly JBL bass bins even if they had to be assembled?

15.gif

I have a yamaha htr 5280 reciever already, and I have pretty much made up my mind on the RF-3II surround setup. It's the sub that has created most of the problem. I am looking for an powered sub, that I can just plug into my preamp subwoofer out. My main purpose for getting them is for movies. Even though I probably listen to music a bit more than watch movies, but my "thrill" with speakers comes with watching movies. I guess I am looking both for hard hitting and clean bass. I guess I don't need that much power, just some clean quality bass.

Basically these 4 subs have been the reccommended, and I am trying to decide on one.

1.Klipsch RSW 10 $625

2.SVS 25-31 pci $550 (screw it even the 20-39 pci $600. The woman better like it)

3.Paradigm pw2200 (even though it seems to be out of my price range.

Cheapest I find it for in america is $799)

4.HSU vtf-2 $450 (since the vtf-3 is about $850)

so unless you guys know of a place that sells the pw2200 or the HSU VTF-3 for about $650 then its basically between #1,2,4. I appreciate any of your comments.

P.S do any of those subs have that roll off to protect newbies like me from blowing there speakers? I also prefer not to go the DIY route.

I would go with option #2 - the SVS. Hands down, the most sub available for under $650. Hell, they have the best woo***e at any price point below $2000, IMO - unless you build your own (and even that is debateable). Great performance, and no need to stretch the budget any further.

Talk to Tom or Ron at SVS first, and lay out your gear and listening room for them. They will recommend the best model for your room. They are very honest - they will be more than happy to discuss other manufacturers' models too, and how they compare output wise to SVS. Don't be afraid to discuss other brands and models with them. I have known the SVS folks to recommend other maufacturer's subs on occasion when warranted - they want to give good advice, as well as sell a few subs.

The only knock against SVS is the physical size of the subs (sometimes cause relationship problems with the wife). If you can deal with this, buy one.

Read the SVS reviews - they don't lie. You won't regret the decision.

given your answers, I would say just the opposite, got for the Klipsch - they have the punch and the mid-bass output, the SVS tubes go deep, deeper than any other sub for the price, but the Klipsch has the output and the punch, which is especially nice for movies ...4.gif

You should not have to pay MSRP for any sub in your local store IMO. I got my Paradigm PW 2200 for $500.00 new. I knew the guy mis-quoted me so I bought it then instead of ordering the SVS. The RSW 15 doesn't have much more output then the PW 2200 so I would say the RSW 10 shouldn't even be considered for Home Theater use with your system. I had a Velodyne HGS 12 and I sold it to buy an SVS CS-Ultra. I got a good price with the Paradigm so I got it instead. Anyway, the HGS 12 was better for DEEP bass effects when watching movies. It was better overall then the PW 2200 even though the PW has it's advantages also. I would suggest you take a good hard look at SVS in the 20 hz range for your movies. If you stretch it a bit the HSU VTF-3 has Velodyne HGS 18 output at 20 hz. That could be very pleasing to. I had some some specs printed out at one-time that would be helpful to you but I think its in storage with most my other stuff until next month when my house is completed. Good luck.

Prod - You got it 9.gif My 20-39 PC+ vs you RSW-15. Let's put in LOTR's and see which is the winner shall we 9.gif9.gif

If you want movies to sound the best, the SVS will be the winner, for music, it will be close but the RSW-15 will be a little better. But it does cost about twice as much as the SVS, so if you get 2 SVS for the same price as the RSW-15, I guess SVS would win 9.gif But both subs are amazing, and either one will make anyone happy. It's a matter of taste, and I just happen to like how the SVS looks, and more importantly sounds.

So you guys think that if I can get the paradigm PW2200 for around $600 then that would be the sub of choice? Will it outperform the svs? I like how the RSW sounds, but it seems that everywhere I post people reccomend the svs over the klipsch. The svs does have that 12" driver. What are your thoughts?

well guys if you buy the new sound&vision 2003 buyers guide there are some test reports from tom nousaine. He tested a pw2200 and a rsw15, well the rsw15 blew away the pw2200, not even close, one of his quotes are "one of the best measuring subwoofers we've seen" and we are talking a single sub here not a dual setup like a svs, I have dual Paradigm pw2200, i really like the sound of these subs, but I wish I would have bought the rsw15,

Mark

If you're ready to make a decision, there is one SVS 25-31CS Plus in the b-stock section for only $475 plus S&H(which is surpisingly low, only $18 to my house).

http://svsubwoofers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SSL&Category_Code=B-stock

Couple that with the 250 watt Parts Express for around $120 and you can stay within budget and get a higher line SVS than you were initially looking at. Also, with the 25-31CS Plus you can choose a tuning of 25hz or 20hz by simply inserting the included port plug.

If it was me, I'd act fast before someone else snags this gem of a subwoofer.