$180 Technics / $450 Rega...which?

jdm56

My eighteen-year-old Sony tangential tracker seems to be in the process of biting the dust. It's too old and cheap to fix, so what to do? I only listen to records occasionally, but I still do need a turntable. I'm looking at this Technics semi-automatic that uses a P-mount cartridge, which is what I have, so that would save some bucks. They say it has a "non-resonant base" - not wood, so I'm not sure actually what it is made of.

To cut to the chase; are the cheaper "audiophile" tables (Rega P2, Music Hall MMF5, Pro-Ject, NAD 533, etc.) worth two to three times the price of the Technics, sound quality wise? For limited use? By limited, I mean that if I REALLY like a record, I get it on CD, if possible. And if I can't find the CD, I put it on tape.

Thanks,

I think that if your desire as regards vinyl is to get it on tape asap and otherwise not play vinyl at all, then you don't have a very good vinyl setup.

My borrowed Thorens TD165 (which is a mass-market Thorens at least 20 years old) and cheap-as-sh*t Ortofon cartridge make better music than my (very) expensive CD player.

Draw what conclusions you want from that.

the Music Hall on a isolation base with a good cartridge and super clean, and almost free they are so cheap, records can rival the best SACD player I have heard in some respects

(although I prefer the utter convenience, deep bass and new music found on CDs)

what the heck stephen! you don't like technics! They are the gods of the DJ turntable world!!!! so much torque, so many options, what can be better?! of course, numarks newest turntable on paper should be better, but that hasn't gone through the years of hazing that the technics has. Oh, but back to the question. I don't think that it is worth the extra money to get the "audiophile" ones. Like you said, you'll just buy the CD anyway, so really no point in a good turntable. And besides, yo uhave to take into account that these companies are selling more than a turntable, they're also selling their name, just like B&W does, and just like Krell does (I'm speaking over both companies lower end equipment). So, the technics could be on the same level, but the others will be priced higher just because it's a " ". you insert the name there, lol.

Nah, I'm not lookin' at the direct-drive, DJ rigs. This one is the SL-BD22. BD, as in "belt drive". And yes, I've wondered how much of the "budget audiophile" 'tables cost is due to more limited production and distribution. That, and like was mentioned, the added panache of owning a Rega, say, over a Technics. (geez, everybody and their dog has owned a Technics table)

Well, except for me. I've had a LAB100 from 'da shack, two Pioneers, a BIC, a Luxman (best), and my current Sony. I always thought I was gettin' a good rig, really splurgin', if I spent over $200 on a turntable. Back in the day, that was probably about average for what people were puttin' into tables. At least, it was usually towards the upper middle range of most mainstream manufacturers line.

So it's not like I'm used to a really good table, anyway. And at this point, after going through the last remains of my record collection, I have to admit that there is not a whole lot there of importance to me, as most of the best has been sold or traded for polycarbonate and aluminum.

But, yes there are some in-betweeners. The cheapest Pro-Ject is under $300, and Thorens has one in that price range. Maybe the cheapest Music Hall is down there, too. I dunno. I think maybe the Technics is good enough for me. Even if a $450 Rega did sound obviously better, I just don't have enough vinyl to justify it. Because my vinyl collection is STILL shrinking, and I'm sure it will continue in that direction. I'm just waiting for SACD and/or DVD-A to get their acts together. I AIN'T goin' back to the dark days LP's.

My opinion: keep shopping. $185 is alot to pay for a turntable the you'll only listen to occasionally.

There are bargains out there if you care to find them. I would rank my find as one of those bargains:

Cruising through a garage sale, I found a Dual 504 turntable that was in working condition, with and old Grado cartridge. I paid $3 for it. Brought it home, cleaned it up, put a new belt on it and replaced the cartridge with a Grado Prestige Red, and this turntable sounds absolutely great on my modest system. If you want to be patient, and you're willing to apply a little elbow grease as needed, you might find a diamond in the rough for a lot less than $189.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

I've been spinnin' so much vinyl the last few days that the old Sony seems to have gotten the kinks out of it's system; it's workin' pretty good right now. It probably just wasn't getting enough use. I've played through a number of albums now, without a problem. So we'll see...

As to waiting for the "pinnacle", DVD-A, we'll see about that, too. I think I'll try to wait for affordable components with hi-rez, multi channel digital ins and outs.