TO SENSITIVE ??

Dale W

During recent inter-connect upgrades i've picked up a nastly little hum at low volume levels. The cables in question are all "dialectic" forgive me if i've spelt this wrong.they are dragon flys and are extremly sensitive. I'm trying to isolate them away from power cords and speaker cables to cancel any EMI cross talking.I don't know if i have a bad cable or have two talking to each other? Anything else i should be checking for ?

Hi there,

What type of set-up are you running? I don't think that Wire or Cables can cause Hum. Maybe as you say they can amplify it somehow. Anyway, I'll list a couple of examples of things that may cause hum and possible solutions

to these problems.

Example 1.) Your running Cable TV through your set-up: Sometimes Cable TV causes hum in Receivers, Amps, & Preamps.

Solution: 1.) Try a "Ground Loop Isolator" which can be had for about $10-20.00 bucks at Radio Shack.

Example 2.) Your using "3 Prong Plug" on your Amp Or Preamp: People also have Hum with their amp\preamps when using these type of plugs (I did with My Parasound Pre).

Solution: 1.) Try plugging into different outlets in the room (It worked for my Parasound).

2.) Try a "Cheater Plug" (turns 3 prong to a 2 prong) can be had for like $2-3.00 bucks for 4pac at Radio Shack.

3.) (I don't own one) But, folks are saying those "Line Conditioners" clean up things quite a bit. Can cost well into the Hundreds.

Hope this helps,

J

I'm running dual monstercable ht 3500 line conditioners.I've try'ed the two prong plug adapter and unpluging my sat feed and still have the hum.I talked briefly with a engineer familiar with this type of cable and he informed me that they are veeeeeerrryyyy sensitive and you must be carefull of routing your cables. And one other thing i was not aware of, the cables need a burning in period and should never be switched around afterward.I have 10 pairs at $280.00 a pair so i hope there not the cause of the problem.my next step is to bypass my series 3 phase coupled activators and see if there causing the problem.

If new cables brought out a hum, you have a ground loop caused by the cables or poorly shielded cables, regardless of price. Cables cannot be too sensitive, just poorly designed.

Replace cables one at a time until you eliminate the hum.

Cable burn-in is B.S.! Which electrons are bad electrons? What physical change can 2 volts max. (and virtually no current) make? What it you accidently moved the cable? Is the sound now shot for 2 more weeks? No real engineer would tell you such things.

John

yeah, that sounds a little goofy to me. I have done what you say is bad with all my cables and never notice a thing. The signal transmitted through interconnects is so small it is almost absurd to thin kthat that little power could make any physical change in it, enough so to get rid of hum.

No bad electrons, John.

I know it sounds far fetched DJ.

Unless i'm completely off base,

I believe it's primarily an electromagnetic thing.

Sort of like the ole' nail, copper wire, and AA battery trick.

(something about induced electron flow through a conductor)

-I call it cable jacket static cling-

*Other miniscule aspects are related but not noteworthy here.(And most are only speculative theory)

Like many things in the coplexities surrounding electron/cable theory, the physical attributes of "cable burn-in" are "seen" as a collecive whole.

You know, the traditional "smoothing out of the treble and widening of the mids".

These audible manifestations are not entirely the direct result of a psychoacoustic phenomena. IMHO.

But hey!

I'm no expert or degreed professional.

I very well could be wrong.

Enjoy the MUSIC...

Be sure to properly cold temper your cables to allow for smoother molecular alignment.

Like my dear old grand-pappy used say,

"Boy, there's nuttin like a glacier smooth surface to insure acurate signal transmission." he he

And as the "Human Torch" of the Fantastic Four would yell,

FLAME ON!2.gif9.gif10.gif

Thanx for your imput boy's . problem solved !! "bad cable"

I disconected one at a time and replaced them with my old cables untill i found the bad one. believe it or not it was in the cable.I never had this problem before so i kind of figured something was funny as the hum was olny on one channel.goes to show that all manufacturing is not perfect .

JOHN ALBRIGHT: There is little question that cables can be the cause of some evil's. Noise affects audio frequency range and interferes with audio signals.The most common being RFI wich affects a cable directly in the audio range.This is usually a hiss. Another source of noise is EMI, whenever electricity ( i.e . an audio signal ) passes through a wire, it produces inductance creating an electromagnetic field. Because EMI manifests itself at a high frequency, it is commonly believed not to interfere with the audible range of frequencies. However, all frequencies demonstrate harmonic structures. Even if the cause of interference is outside the audible range,the upper and lower harmonics of a given frequency often make themselves present in the audible range. At the very least,EMI causes degradation of audio frequencies. The NBS cables i have employ a passive frequency inductance network circuitry,and unconventional use of shields.The result is a dramatically lowered noise floor,substantially increased dynamic range and a vast improvement in information retrieval.Now that being said we all know the electronic industry is full of witchcraft and vodoo and every sales person will tell you whatever B.S he can to sell you something.But there is a differece between good and poor cables and i still believe it's money well spent. My original posting was lacking in information and i appoligize for that.The packaging for the cables say's and i quote "APPROXIMATELY 48HRS IS REQUIRED FOR CABLES TO EQUALIZE". Now i'm sorry if i miss understood this as a burn in period. My purpose for using this web site is to gather and share information not to come off as a know it all or to piss anyone off. I appoligize if i insulted your inteligence. My friend is a sound and stage engineer and his comments to me were to make sure the cables never came into close contact with power supplies or each other.All he meant was to be carefull in routing as i may pick up a signal i don't want from a outside source.Plus don't switch cables around as they are directional and the markings sometimes fall off or wear off. In the future i will endevor to ensure the information i provide is more specific as to eliminate confusion and insult.

DALE:

you mean you are only using the $280 cables from NBS audio cables???? that's your problem ....you need to step up to the $10,000 4 ft rca interconnect cable that they sell...enough dollars will solve all of your problems....

o.k.......i apologize for the above statement....but I am a salesman at a store that sells a $4.00 neutrik connector that NBS uses in their "high-end" cables.......

caveit emptor......

copper is copper.....double-blind will reveal all....that's why most cable compnies don't do it....

2.gif

MINN-MALE42: Not all salesmen are bad it was just an example, some of the gentleman i deal with are great but on the other hand i've ran into a few that would milk you of your last buck, so as you are aware a fool and his money are easily parted.

I would love to switch to balanced imputs but olny my amps have the conections, my procesor does not.I'm looking at a new krell right now and a few others, it is my future plan to go in this direction. NBS is a good product line and i will continue to purchase there cables.