I bought some records...........................................................................

T2K

talktoKeith,

Glad to hear the albums are in such good shape. I remember the Buckingham/Nicks album when it was first released (on Polydor label I think). I have some old Johnny Rivers albums also. He always did some good Chuck Berry tunes. I always enjoyed finding covers of songs made popular by other artists in the middle of albums. I used to make up cassette tapes of nothing but cover songs for my car. It's amazing the amount of Motown songs that have been covered over the years. Of course all those British guitarists were into American soul and blues music. That made me go back and check out some of their influences. I think blues music is about my favorite at this time, but I still listen to a wide variety - just depends on my mood.

Jim,

I am inclined to leave the vintage Cornwalls the way they are. They will be utilized and appreciated for what they are. When I want way more volume with less of that shrillness in the mids, I will have the altec system with a combination of two Altec woofers (416B & 515C) and the 511B with Altec drivers, and a JBL tweeter. Rather than a passive crossover, I will experiment with various tri-amp combinations until I get what I want. Who knows, it could end up actively crossedover SS for the tight bass, SET for the mellow mids, and PP for the Horn /Tweeter . I am just dreaming here, I do not have any SET amp yet, but do have a variety of PP amps I am in the process of upgrading, one of which is the Dynaco Triode mod that was discussed a few months ago when mdeneen posted the pictures. Usually I am listening to the Cornwalls at a distance of 30-40 feet away, and the band of shrillness is not an issue, in fact I dig the way those speakers can really project sound just as they are.

My Cornwalls are so pristine that I have always been reluctant to mess with them in any way.With this new turntable (MMF-7 by Music Hall) in combination with the Paragon tube Preamp and Triode Class A EL34 amp, the Cornwalls never sounded so good.

The good thing about designing a speaker system is that I can shape it to exactly fit the space I have. Unfortunately there simply is no room or correct space for something like Klipschorns. I am curious to hear them someday.

-c7s

Clipped no argument here, i wouldnt mess with the cornwalls either, the 511bs wouldnt fit, to begin with!

People here have to realize, the only thing on my Klipschorns thats different is the taller top front, just like the way they were, when i bought them, with the standard fronts!

I just made them taller to fit the Altec horns, without them just sitting on top, or hanging from the ceiling!

I could put these back to original in about 30 min!

Build the altecs, its fun!

Regards Jim

1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

lovedrummin, finally got around to going thru some of the boxes of LP's. So far I've run across 2 Johnny Rivers albums. They are: Johnny Rivers/Greatest Hits/ MCA(MCA917) and Blue Swede Shoes/United Artists(UA-LA-075-F.

Haven't listened to them yet, although they are in excellant condition.

Keith

Max

I have several Neil Diamond LP's and CD versions of those same recordings. The LP's are very nice sounding. The CD versions are compressed,harsh,strident and awaiting my next garage sale.

The sad part of all of this is that CD remasters* do not need to sound like Le Merde. I have several remastered CD's of Django Reinhard,Oscar Peterson, Stephane Grappelli and Louis Armstrong most of which were originally recorded in the 1930's. While these CD's do not sound as good as the best of today's CD's - They sound a hello of a lot better than many CD's released in the last few years.

The crown jewel of my remasters has to be Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington The Great Summit / The Master Takes originally recorded on April 3 and 4 1961. This thing sounds as if it might have been recorded last week ! It is remastered from the original 3 Track tapes at 24-bit/96khz. The disc is Roulette Jazz 7243 5 24547 2 3.

* Most of these are part of the Gitane's Jazz in Paris series. This is an economy priced series but the remastering is very well done.

lynnm, at your mention I just had to get up and see how many Neil Diamond lp's were in the box sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor( wife's gonna kill me yet!). Found 7.

Don't have any idea how you might like Nat King Cole lynnm, but I would suggest you try 'The Unforgettable Nat King Cole {Remaster}'. Product ID 72435247212 at TowerRecords.com. priced at $14.99. Now this is REAL music. It will sound great on horns. I wonder what it would sound like on Q-man's rig?6.gif

Keith

I never liked Nat. To me, he always sounded high pitched, a bit hoarse and I don't know - utterly lacking in smoothness and finesse - sorta like Captain Beefheart but not as silky. To each his own I guess !

I will in all fairness once again listen to each and every one of the dozen or more of his LP's in my collection to verify the opinion stated above. This will involve some personal sacrifice as my wife says that she is getting sick of hearing that clown all the time ! 11.gif

It appears you are correct lynnm. Everyones tastes are different. This particular CD has some good orchestral music. It may be a little bright with some Klipsch as it sounds more forward on my usually 'warmer' Synergy's than other like CD's.

Save yourself and your wife the misery and do what I do with music I don't care for, give to the Salvation Army.

Happy Hoildays!

Keith

LOL I was joking about Nat King Cole. He was one of the smoothest ever and one of my favourite male vocalists. As for the Sally Ann reference that is exactly where my buddy Brian and I take our playable culls when we have been on a garage sale spree. This summer we donated something in the order of 350 LP's to them.

Didn't want to argue the point lynnm! Better 'Straighten Up And Fly Right'! If you care anything for Nat, the CD above will probably be one of the best investments you'll make in his music. Its 'Unforgettable'!! Listen to the entire CD and I guarantee it will make you 'Smile'. And its a bargain at that price for 25 tracks.

Keith