CDs - dynamic range, compression, loudness

Vladi

Ever since I acquired my Klipsch system, I have been disappointed in how my favourite band, U2, sounds on my system. I have been in love with them since 1991, and I have been inspired by their music on many occasions. But I have never listened to them on a higher end audio, only in hte car, bar/pub, or at home on a boombox. Now that I have a better sound system, I am completely dissatisfied the way their music sounds, I still like the melody and words, but I was expecting more from them. Somehow on my new system U2 seemed to have lost the soul and motion of the music, it sounds dull and boring to say the least, unbalanced, the HF or LF overwhelming in many songs, especially their recent albums.

I have been browsing the web and recently found these three interesting sites:

http://georgegraham.com/compress.html

http://www.digido.com/compression.html

http://www.rdrop.com/~www.digido.com/integrated.html

I was surprised to read all this, and was not aware that the recording studios use such techniques.

Now I am thinking of getting a TT.

I agree. My Chorus based system reveals all the mediocrity of recordings, especially rock/pop. The good news is that when you play something with minimal compression, it sounds wonderful and perhaps shocking on a good system.

My current favorite is Stravinsky's Rite of Spring on Telarc CD. WOW! Using a Ratshack meter (crude, I know), I measured at leat 60dB of range on this recording.

Thanks for the links, BTW. I have forwarded them to some of my friends.

Scott

This is unfortunately the case, where a Good system makes it easier to spot the flaws in a recording. I've noticed that with some albums that I can leave the eq flat on my receiver while listening to them, these albums sound good at any volume.

Other cd's I have to fiddle with the bass and treble to get it to sound "just right".

Unfortunately on vinyl records there can still be bad mixes, although the wider frequency response of vinyl can make up for some of this. It all depends on how they recorded it I guess.

Still imho there is nothing quite like listening to some Miles Davis or John Coltrane, on an even halfway decent turntable setup.

But I'm not an auidophile I just enjoy listening to music16.gif

Peace, Josh

It is unfortunately true that the more compressed a recording the less dynamic range ie. the difference in loudness between the softest and loudest passages. I recently bought a CD featuring one of my favourite performers that I find literally unlistenable do to the extremely compressed sound , (Tina Turner Simply The Best ).

At one time there was no control exercised over TV and Radio stations regarding the loudness of the signal. Broadcasters frequently increased the volume for the COMMERCIALS and returned the volume to normal levels for the program material. In time the FCC in the U.S. and regulatory agencies around the globe established a standard level that was not to be exceeded by either program material or advertising. The industry responded by introducing very high levels of compression for the commercial content. This enabled advertisers to stay within the law but to maintain or even increase the percieved loudness of the commercial content. Thus many of us find the need to decrease the volume during commercial breaks and restore the volume during the program material.

Cluless,

Are you talking about Boy, October, War, Under a Blood Red Sky, The Unforgetable Fire, Wide Awake in America, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum? I love those and they still sound good! However the stuff after that is sometimes unbearable to listen... I love Achtung.

Did you mean my avatar? If yes thanks, I am big Pink Floyd fan too, for the last 17 years.

Vladi

lynnm said:

The industry responded by introducing very high levels of compression for the commercial content. This enabled advertisers to stay within the law but to maintain or even increase the percieved loudness of the commercial content. Thus many of us find the need to decrease the volume during commercial breaks and restore the volume during the program material.

I have a very easy fix for that - the mute button 10.gif. Nowadays, I got a bit more sophisticated than that, espcially since I got one of those RCA Ultimate/Direct TV recievers two springtimes ago. If I am watching something that has been time delayed, the thirty-second skip button works wonders in getting past the commercials. If what I am watching is the actual live feed, then the dual-tuner and picture-in-picture feature is very handy. Just call up the PiP, and go to one of the "Music Choice" channels and listen to a little music until the commercials are over. No more annoyingly loud and obnoxious commercials. (Don't you just love modern technology? 11.gif )

From what I've read, there are three issues.

1) Some recording situations work out more realisitic with a bit of compression. The acoustic guitar is the example. A bit of compression makes the recording closer to what is heard sitting next to it.

2) Making a recording of a big orchestra is a bear regarding the timpani drum. For some reason, unless you have a microphone near it, the impact is not captured. This is part of the general and vexing problem of making an accurate recording of an orchestra in a space which is perhaps 70 feet wide. If the mikes are spaced at 30 feet, then some bass information gets to them out of phase.

The above are just the recording engineers trying to make an accurate recording. That is an effort to realism.

3) Most people listen to pop music on very poor systems in bad listening situations. The table radio, the car radio, the Walkman on the bus. So compression and bass boost is typically used to make the music stand out. This is not an effort to realism. Rather, gross processing to overcome some poor reproduction.

Gil

In my experience there are certain bands that are extremely difficult to find really good recordings of and U2 is certainly one of them. I think Island Records has a lot to answer for. The quality of some of their recordings on Cd's is frankly appalling.

Sadly their vinyl is often not much better. I have Boy, Rattle and Hum and a few others on vinyl. Whilst it is certainly better than the equivalent CD's I own they are far from great recordings.

Irritating isnt it.

Fortunatly with my recording equipment and excellent musicians and singers I can make homemade digital recordings that are better sounding than most of the commercial stuff. I go for naturally sounding performances rather than getting it as loud as possible. Very few commercial recordings really sound good. I think engineers should take notice of George Martin. He is my favorite. On the BeaTles "Please Please Me", the song"Anna" the recording is so clean and clear, you can hear the pedal on the kick drum squeaking!