RP TV choice ...Mitsu or Sony

Michael Greenway

Well we have settled in our new house, got grass growing, can park 2 cars in garage, have my Berkline Cinema Series seating set up in "My Room" and have all my speaker wires hidden. It is now time to upgrade the TV to a big screen.

I have it narrowed to a 55" mitsu or 57" Sony both widescreen HD ready. What says the forum? The Sony cost a little more but it has few more features like the memory stick on front panel. The Mitsu has a wider top for setting my KLF-C7 (or a reworked KLF-30). It is going to happen this weekend!3.gif

I would totally go with the Mits, hands down the best RPTV next to Pioneer Elite. The Sony's look a little nicer in the showrooms because they're VERY bright, made that way, and they tend to lose the picture quality because of that over time. The Mits is a excellent TV, lifetime warranty on the lens, and has a wonderful picture. I have owned 3 Mits so far and everyone rocked! I have the WS-65869 HDTV now and I'm 110% satisfied with it. Ask anyone, they will most likely agree with Mits being right up there for RPTV.

My vote would be for Mits, but it's up to you 9.gif

you may want to read about the Sony and Mitsu at

http://www.hometheaterspot.com

Good info organized by manufacturer

Hitachi and Toshiba also have there fans.

Pioneer Elite has the best picture and I haven't read anyone that disagrees, but they are expensive --although 2002 models are on close-out now.

Mitsu seems to be very popular and the brand I purchased but there's competition. Hitachi for one seems very similar if not a better value (I think their XWX has anit-screen glare, DVI&Firewire, competes with MitsuDiamond on picture and is cheaper...there are good reviews in the press and you can buy it at a discounter like Circut City who will undercut your Mitsu price from another dealer)

Here are some things to consider on the Mitsu:

* ISF callibration can make them have an outstanding picture

* Out of the box they have a red push (flesh tones have red tint), this can be fixed.

* They are the only manufacturer w/IEEE 1394 firewire digital i/f. The others use DVI. It's not clear which will win...DVI is for copy protection so not a favorite but may be the winner. With the Mitsu Promise module they will sell a future digital i/f standard if needed.

* Turn down the brightness and contrast when you buy one

* Take simple precautions against screen burn-in

* 2002 55909 Diamonds can be found new for $3700

* 2003 55511 is around $3200

* you can save $900 or so buy not getting a model w/HDTV int. tuner if you plan to use SAT or Cable but you won't get the Firewire and NetCommand.

* Promise module upgrade is $1000

In general:

* standard TV on a Wide Screen digital TV is horrible! Not only do you have the 4:3 to 16:9 screen difference to manage but the quality of the picture in low res TV displayed on a digital TV looks like a printer using econoMode...yuck!

* the screen glare is distracting (except top models like Diamond). You can take the protective screen off but then risk damage which is about a $300 repair.

* ISF calibration is about $400 depending on the services

* the integrated HDTV tuner would not be used if you get HDTV from your SAT tuner or CableTV tuner box, but to get Firewire and Net Command you need a model with int. tuner.

* A VGA port will allow you to connect a PC which can be used as a very high quality CD and DVD player/recorder. W/O VGA you need a component to VGA conversion box which is very close.

* You will want to use a quality component video DVD connection. Digital Big Screens highlight the difference SVHS and component video connections. With the Mitsu you'll want a progessive scan, too.

I first ordered a Sony, then canceled and switched my order to Mitsubishi. The reason being that I liked the picture better and wanted to place my center channel on top, which would have been much harder on the Sony. I never did a side by side comparison though, so the picture quality thing may be inaccurate. Beyond that, I liked the ability for the firmware to be upgraded. We all know that new products carry with them all sorts of bugs, many of which can be worked out via firmware upgrade.

I agree that the pioneers have the best picture. I have a 61" Hitachi HD and I thought an as good if not better picture as the Sony's I lloked at. As KJ said I got an excellent value on it at Circuit City. I have viewed the Mitsu's also but not side by side with the Hitachi but nothing particular about it stood out to be better than the Hitachi picture, just a bigger price tag. In my opinion of course.

EJ