Just Back from College Hunting

justin_tx_16

I went out to the University of Missouri at Columbia. I must say that I really like it out there. It is so beautiful, love the cold weather, so clean, etc etc. If I got a dorm room there I would barely have enough room for my new aquired Heresy's, very little room for that kind of stuff due to the large amount of furniture in teh room, unless i make a loft...

however, i am really into the greek life so I will probably never be in a dorm. if i go to Mizzou and join one of the many fraternities, I will have a room in one of the frat houses. BTW, I am extremely impressed with the houses. They are massive, talking >20,000 square feet. One we passed was 85x100feet, 4 stories plus a basement... that is HUGE! there should be plenty of room, esp. since the ones I am looking at have home theaters and game rooms and whatnot.

i also made a stop at D&M Audio/Johnston Audio. They sold all the top brands, Paradigm, BW, Klipsch, Nenon, Grady, Senn, Velodyne, Denon, ONKYO, ARAGON, etc etc. They even had the exotic Nautalus BW Speakers! Wow they sure are beautiful. This store is about 5 minutes (walking) from the law school! That rocks for me 3.gif

Well, I just had a terrific time while there. I am really excited cause I think I will go there now, at least I won't have to stress out so much about it now. I am already accepted I believe.

Oh yeah, interesting note. I heard Norah Jones's new CD at these locations while there...

Campus book store

Campus computer store

Brady (cafeteria)

Le Petit Bouchon (french restount out there, used pardigm speakers)

Panchera or Panera (bakery)

Cool Stuff (neat store)

Kansas City International Airport

The Radio

and another restraunt I can not think of. It sure it popular out there!

Ah yes Jaxon (oops) J/K.The good old days of my higher education. When I attended my university I think I drank enough beer to float the USS Nimitz. I think the people who wrote the script for Animal House stole my college memoirs. No joke . My buddies and I actually built a float that self destructed at the end of the Home Coming Day parade. Im lucky to be alive when I look back at some of that stuff. It will be a great time in your life.

You will find that most frat houses are really nice. And yes huge. But at most universities you have to live in the dorms the first year even if your in a frat, you might want to check that out justin. But thats just how it is with all the schools in the University of Wisconsin.

It may also depend on the particular frat chapter there on campus. Some may allow the freshman to move into the house after being voted in. Some may not take freshman in, at least until they get through pledging. I don't know how the greek system works at missou, but at Clarion U of PA, where I went to school. The "rush week" was usually about the 2nd or 3rd week into the semester. After that, if you got voted in, they will ask you to pledge with the fraternity. After pledging (which takes the whole semester), then if there is room at the house, they may ask if you want to live there. The more senior memebers usually get the first crack at the house.

Of course, Clarion is a much smaller school and do not have as many frats and the ones there do not have nearly as large/nice of houses as I have seen at these larger campuses (such as at Penn State, which I was accepted to). I did not join any of the greek frats, but I did join the "Pershing Rifles", which was a military frat (ROTC based - unfortunatly, the ROTC battalion at Clarion was one of the ones that got shutdown during the budget/military reductions during the late 80's/early 90's, thus I was not able to complete it - would have been nice to graduate college as an officer in the Army). Now the only frat that I care about today is Freemasonry. At least they don't make you go through all that "pledging" crap like the college frats do/did.

there are like 42 frats. pledging comes in the summer, about 3 weeks before freshmen orientation, and a session in the spring if you really want to start early. if you are officially in the frat, you live in the house, no matter what grade you are in, freshman-x'th year senior 3.gif

just got the heresy's home, they are beautiful! now i need a new TV stand, an amp, an maybe some bucking magnets... hoping i won't have to mess with the bucking magnets.