2002 Klipschorns: Opinions?

jmslaw

I'd be curious to know if they are actually shipping as yet. I have seen posts here from members who have ordered the Horns or the Belles months ago and have yet to see them. Bob G. has stated that they are being built and I have no reason to doubt him. I am however curious to hear from anyone who has taken delivery.

Can't comment yet, Jeff as I'm still waitin' on mine. I ordered my LaScalas through my local dealer back in May... just before the price increase--( really couldn't spare the cash outlay for 5 LaScalas, but it was a "now or never" thing!)

And LynnM, I spoke, briefly, with Klipsh's reps when they were in town last month calling on the store owner. They assured me that there was, indeed, some poor unfortunate soul locked away in a Hope, AR. dungeon, churning out wonderful toys.2.gif

(They also said that they were INCREDIBLY backlogged!)

• 4 weeks later...

My dealer has e-mailed saying they've shipped my pair of new Klipschorns. He will let me know when they arrive at the store. Unfortunately, they are destined to be shipped to New Zealand where I am now - so roughly, maybe 2 months time before I get to hear them speak.

I've been patiently waiting and waiting. To give you an idea how long, it's been well over 18 months. Yes I am patient because simply there are no other makes that are considered a FULLY horn loaded loudspeaker.

Don't quote me on this but I think there is only ONE person building the Heritage line. Months ago they use to have 2 people building them but that person has left.

So my guess, it won't be long before Klipsch discontinues the whole Heritage line once that 1 worker leaves. I know they can always train new people to build them but there's nothing like an experienced builder as they make fewer or no mistakes. Don't forget, re-training is a BIG cost in business and it's not like ANY wood-worker would have the skills to build folded horn enclosures.

Of the Klipschorns that have been produced in 2002 - i doubt there is more than a few sets ever shipped out? If it's to be the last, they will certainly be collectors' items.

I have read about some changes in the xover and driver design on the new Klipschorns - however, I sometimes think that these changes were only made to suit the NEW type of driver being used. Will it sound like the old Klipschorns? (somehow, I doubt it will although the speaker itself has gone through many changes over the past 40 years). This is nothing new... Klipschorns have been fitted with different xovers and drivers in the past. So it's not so easy to go on EBay and buy that used pair of Klipschorn.

When they arrive - i'll give it a serious break-in and evaluation.

BQ

With all the enthusiasm over the Heritage line, I am surprised Klipsch is not jumping on this, hiring more people and making an effort to have dealers sell them.

I mean really - If a dealer had there high end HT showroom with Khorns, belles and LaScallas. I would kick the crap out of anything else in the city.

I think Klipsh is missing the boat on this one and its really too bad.

JM

I ordered a pair of new Khorns on October 25. In late November the dealer advised that Klipsch has the speakers scheduled for production in early January and they should arrive here in Maryland around mid-month. We shall see.

I look forward to posting my impressiopns of them after living with them for a while. At age 60 audio has been a hobby of mine since teenagerhood in Boston and I've heard and owned lots of speakers. Favorites were large Advents, now serving as front speakers in my home theater bolstered by a Velodyne servo 15" subwoofer, and Bose 901 VI's in a separate stereo music room. Khorns have been my lifetime dream speaker. They will replace the Boses, which are no slouch in their own right. It will be interesting to see THAT difference. Regards, Thomas Longo in Ocean Pines, MD