Klipsch, Is It True??

pgh

6.gif

From http://aca.gr/paper15.htm

"1. Change the internal wiring - Klipsch uses cheap Monster Cable that will oxidize very quickly (tested!). A good bet, here, is to use your chosen speaker wire (at least for the woofer section). If the said wire is thick multistrand, try to use something thinner for the mid and high horns, possibly of the "ribbon" variety.

2. Change the crossover capacitors - The choice is entirely up to you: If for example you have tube gear using paper in oil's, you could balance the sound by choosing more neutral caps, like SCR metal films. You could even try oil-filled caps in case you feel the urge...

3. Replace the crossover inductors - One of the best mods, ever, with improvements all over the acoustic spectrum. I used the Alpha Core 12ga air-core inductors, whilst other users report very good results with the Solen litz wire ones."

All of these changes, or "improvements" by "DIYers" really help? Is the above necessary?

Silly me, but I would trust the Klipsch engineers, with their knowledge & equipment(such as anechoic chamber, etc.)would test for the best?

If I'd just spent time and dollars modifying my speakers, I could almost bet you I'd hear improved sound. Because I would expect to. I think audiophiles are very vulnerable to the power of suggestion.

Not that klipsch crossovers are beyond any improvement. I doubt that. Even high quality speakers like klipsch are still built with price in mind, so no doubt, changing parts could improve sound. Notice I said "could". They could probably even more likely be made to sound worse.

Personally, until I hear a problem with my speakers, or something breaks, I don't intend to change anything. The stock AK-3 circuit sounds just fine to my less than golden ears.

Damn I have to archive my rants !!

I just spent 20 minutes commenting on a post here and it phiffed into the mists !

AKA

I suggest that any reading these posts taste them with a pinch of salt!

Quote:

1. Change the internal wiring - Klipsch uses cheap Monster Cable that will oxidize very quickly (tested!). A good bet, here, is to use your chosen speaker wire (at least for the woofer section). If the said wire is thick multistrand, try to use something thinner for the mid and high horns, possibly of the "ribbon" variety.

2. Change the crossover capacitors - The choice is entirely up to you: If for example you have tube gear using paper in oil's, you could balance the sound by choosing more neutral caps, like SCR metal films. You could even try oil-filled caps in case you feel the urge...

3. Replace the crossover inductors - One of the best mods, ever, with improvements all over the acoustic spectrum. I used the Alpha Core 12ga air-core inductors, whilst other users report very good results with the Solen litz wire ones."

Endquote:

BULL****!!

1.) Actually I would like to see the results of the tests that were applied to show that the internal wiring of current Klipsch speakers is substandard. I accept that measured differences might at some future point be relevant.

2.) In the words of PWK..... Doesn't work por moi!

3.) Different variety of Pooh!

I read the posts to crossover tuning in this forum with great interest. One tip was to remove the screw and plastic cap of the small inductor on the AA network. This would open the highs. I did it, because it was very easy. I lifted the screw and pulled them back, lifted, pulled back and stopped after several times doing it.

I heard no difference. Maybe because i'm an engineer and no audiophile. LOL.

Maybe are better caps and inductors really better, but often i think equal to the previous poster.

change the wire, no no no! when you reduce wire size in anything you make it harder to pass electrons, this is basic electron theory, and yup you are right, audiophiles listen to every suggestion hoping for? too many theories out there, and in some cases people trying to just tweak the listener rather than the audio

I think you all are missing some or most of the quoted poster's points. Look in "Odds and Mods" for Q-mans post. His corroded Monster cable reduced one of his tweeter's output by 3 dB. The poster says replace the corroded Monster cable, I agree. The Klipsch speakers used 16 ga zip cord for all connections through the 70s and into the 80s; that should be good enough. However, should you have extra large speaker wire available, it won't hurt to use it.

He also said replace the caps. I partially agree. Replacing the tweeter caps in my Type AAs was an audible improvement. So, I next replaced the squawker cap; no difference.

He recommends replacing the inductors; again, I partially agree. Another menber tested the iron-core woofer inductor and found its inductance changed with voltage, even in the ranges one would see in normal operation. Changing inductance changes the crossover frequency, bad. I have been too lazy to change out my woofer inductor to the Alpha Cores I bought, but may this Christmas. The tweeter inductor is an air-core of fine wire and will not likely be improved much with another one, but I've not tried it.

There is some science behind the changes recommended.

John

• 2 weeks later...

We've experimented with changes in coils, caps, wire etc. All of it changes the sound. Not always for the better though. The speakers are voiced with the production parts and changing them changes voicing.