Friends, Ruminants & Contrarians...

HornEd

wOW, that's a (((((((((((cyberhug))))))))) to be remembered!!! ... and even Martha Stewart in her threatened position would admit that is a good thing! The joy of what is to be will likely be made known after the Christmas frenzy turns into the post New Year's reality. The big push is yet to come. -HornED

PS: Sadly, by the time you arrive I may have left S.F. after 64 years of being a Native Son... but then again I may still be here, in which case you are most welcome. -HornED

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the inspiration, John... but just like there is an "audioreality" there is the reality that at some time, like it or not, we suddenly won't be around. I came pretty close to that end a couple of times in the last several months... so that spurred me on to taking the time to say thanks to all the folks that make this Forum special. And, John, people have called me a lot of things both fair and fowl... but nobody has called me a quitter yet!

Now that I've expressed some of my inner feelings, I'll keep on posting whenever I can. Unfortunately, I may not always be able to respond as quickly as in years past... but I will try to do as best as I can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for including your children in your inspiring message... they are fortunate that they have a dad that can teach them about audio reality... boy are you gonna make some nice young men happy someday... when they find your ladies grown up and Klipsch-wise. -HornED

Ed,

If you need any historians in your venture, give me a holler. I would kinda like to put some of those more difficult college courses I waded through with "Doc Drummond"(AKA "Mr. Monotone"...gawd, he could put you to sleep in an 8 A.M. class with that monotone voice of his!!!...but he DEFINITELY knew his stuff!!) to work(such as "Tudor/Stuart England")...LOL! I only ask that I get a decent wage out of it all...LOL! BTW...it seems that MOST "Renaissance Faires" actually lean more towards the end of the "Dark Ages"/beginning of the Renaissance, than toward the Renaissance, itself. My interests in history have always leaned more toward the working classes and their lives than toward the political scenes of those times, anyway!! The common man and his daily regimen...and, of course, the trades guildsmen, have always been my forte. I guess my love of using my hands to produce things has leaned me in that historical direction!! LOL! One might say that I am truly a "yeoman historian" in that way!!(even though I don't carry a longbow made of yew...) LOL!

After all...where would we be today if it weren't for the common UK yeoman? Those nobles NEEDED them!! Without their longbowmen, the story at Agincourt, Crecy, and elsewhere would have been much different!! One might be able to say that the yeoman and his "poacher's longbow" is what led to the rights of the commoners in England to start with!! Although the Magna Carta was forced on John by the noblemen, there was much more to the story than just what those nobles wanted for THEMSELVES out of the deal!!....Yes, longbows beat heavy cavalry...at a nice long range, too!! 2.gif

A guildsman with a chest of drawers at a Renaissance Faire?...not hardly!!...unless he was possibly a furniture maker and was building a chest for the nobility in the latter part of the Renaissance...and then only one drawer at the very bottom of the chest...if any at all!! LOL! Only the nobility could afford drawers!! LOL! (BTW...you can take that in another way too!!...LOL!)

Historical accuracy?? Well...they didn't exactly have toothpaste, deodorant, and scented soap in those days. Hell, they didn't even bathe in the winter for fear of catching a chill. But, the wealthier of the nobles had access to perfumes to help overpower the stench of their bodies around each other!! And the wealthier of the noble ladies had veils to hide their rotting teeth, and keep their foul breath from each other...LOL! I tend to laugh at the hollywood versions of that period...they are soooooooo "off the mark" on the "age of romance"...LOL!

The busiest man in the village? The local Smithy, of course!! Not that he stayed busy shodding horses, since only the nobility could afford them...but he had lots to do making scythes, chisels, utility knives, etc...for those who lived around him!

And the local carpenter/woodworker? Well...when you have to use blocks of sandstone and, if you are lucky enough to live nearby the sea, and could get some sharkskin to use as sandpaper...then you MAY be able to produce some fine looking objects...but generally most items were very rough and utilitarian, but solidly built!! And every head of family was forced to be able to do his own carpentry and woodworking since he could rarely afford to have it done.

We take so very much for granted today!!

Andy, actually you have been in my mind as I thought of this project. I have a few wellness and "deck clearing" issues to deal with and will emerge, hopefully, with the full blown project in the Spring of '03. I haven't the time to cover the details now... but will email you with a lot more later. Yes, my friend, it will probably give you an opportunity to enjoy what you do best and provide financial security for you as well. Thanks for reminding me. -HornED

ED,

Don't let the project weigh you down right now...the first priority is to get back on your feet!! Wishing you the best in that arena, too!! Without you around, this forum will suffer greatly...so take your time...do what you NEED to do, and get back in the "swing of things", old friend!!

One of the many interesting things I learned while traveling Europe was about the lives of the folk in that era. In Germany, I visited one of the lesser of the many "Robber Baron" castles along the Rhine. In the "keep" was the master bed, and it was quite obvious that it was designed so that the slumberers COULD NOT lay down in it unless they were only 4 feet tall!! LOL! It dated from around the late 1600's to early 1700's. It was brought to my attention that the folks who slept in it actually DID sleep sitting up...propped up with pillows and such so that they remained in a stationary sitting position as they slept. It was the Lady of the Keep's bed. This sleeping position was partly due to the coif of her hair. In those days it took so very long to have the hair done up in the popular curled and piled up high hairdos, that they tended to sleep so that the hair would need very little fixing the next day...and the long "hair-pins"(akin to knitting needles of today in length) of the day that held all that hair up high in position doubled as tools for scratching the itch brought about by the headlice so common among everyone...LOL! No, it wasn't romantic...but at least even the poor were not alone in the need to scratch their itches!! LOL! It must have been a major relief when the powdered wigs began to replace actually having the hair done up in those hairdos...so that folks could lay down to sleep again!! LOL!

I would hang in there, last year, my high school cross country team won the state championships..... there was an awards assembly and my old asistant coach collapsed in front of the whole school and went into cardiac arrest. He almost died. Its been over a year and he has type 2 dibetes and is in almost the same situation. He is still going strong a year later and i don't know, i think that you will be able to pull through just like he did... and besides he didn't have a small army of klipsch lovers on his side like you do. we are all here for you

HornEd,

I too hope that you do manage to find time to visit the board from time to time in the near future, and what sounds like a goodbye is really a heads-up about participating more sporadically from now on while you attend to your health. I have always enjoyed your contributions to our little community here. I also want to tell you to hang in there and fight! As someone who has been ill and had to actively participate in the long term management of desease, I know you can have real benefits from the fight. I wish you the best,

Tony

HornEd:

Am very sorry and sad to hear of your condition.

You are right on target in describing this Forum as a great place to spend time. It is still amazing at how polite most people are, especially with the sheer number of posters. I'm not sure if there is another place like this on the internet, as vast as it is. This forum does exhibit quite a bit of class, and nobody has demonstrated more of it than you Mr. HornEd. The Klipsch forum has class because you have showed it, and the rest of us 10,000 plus members have simply followed your lead. Make no mistake that your contributions here have been much more significant than you might realize.

Get well soon so you can get back to listening to your Klipsch rigs (as well as all the other more important things in your life).

P.S. The Easter Bunny also wishes you well!

Thanks one and all for the encouragement. Yes, this is a great BB and we are the ones who together make it that way. I've been a little busy so I thought I would give those who care an update.

This weekend a very profitable deal was negotiated on the sale of my house in San Francisco. I have secured open ended, multi-million dollar funding for next year's ventures into building better Renaissance Faires on real estate bought by my corporation. But, the biggest thing that happened this weekend is that one of our better Forum Folk was in the San Francisco Bay Area over the weekend... and I didn't get the email that he was coming until he had already gone.

In the next week or two, I should have my wireless Internet link up at the retreat in the Santa Cruz Mountains where I have been spending a lot of time for health reasons. I may provide the Club with a Klipsch based HT so that their current rig won't rile my ears... but at least it isn't Bose!

Last week also included the opportunity to do a photo essay on mainland China. A friend borrowed one of my digital cameras for the trip... and it was her first serious photo session... and she did quite well. Some of the print outs were on archival quality paper (Super A3, 19" x 13") with pigmented ink and surprised a lot of folks as to what can be done with 3.3 megapixels well exposed.

As noted on another thread, I am designing a portable "home theater" based on Klipsch products. The theater will be trucked to faire sites as a promotional vehicle for my new corporation. In addition to providing DVD entertainment for vendors, players and workers during the week, the mobile facility will also serve as a classroom, meeting room and Internet uplink. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to meet some of my Forum Friends as this project progresses.

The track is clear, the money is in place... now all I have to do is get healthy enough to turn the crank. -HornED

Holy cow... I feel like a freak'n idiot.Friends, Ruminants & Contrarians as in Mark Atony's Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;The evil that men do lives after them,The good is oft interréd with their bones,So let it be with Caesar. ok, that is all i remember of the speech but now I feel so stupid! i normally catch onto these allusions quite quickly where this time I was REALLY slow. it makes me feel sick! Cluless ALWAYS catches mine right off, she is the Mistress of Allusions.Jeez... comfort me when life is tough and storms approach... and when i miss such obvious allusions and puns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed,

I am glad that you are getting the wheels rolling on your next project...but PLEASE...get the wheels rolling under YOU FIRST!! Remember, no matter how good a ship's crew is, the ship will lay helpless in becalmed waters if an able Captain isn't at the helm!! So....get out your astrolabe and charts...but remember your HEALTH FIRST!! Methinks you are one hard-headed ole cuss at times!! LOL!

Well, Justin...at least those are the words that ole Bill Shakespeare put into Mark Antony's mouth...but...to tell the truth, if ole Mark had been nearly the literary genius that ole Julius had been in the use of the Latin language...the wording of the speach would have been much abbreviated!! LOL! re: Caesar's "Gallic War,"...a Latin classic made up of his communiques to the SPQR(Senatus Populusque Romanae="The Senate and the People of Rome") from his field headquarters during his conquests in Gaul...considered by many Latin scholars to be the most concise and correct usage of the language ever handed down to us...short, sweet, and to the point...and undoubtedly designed to bring him even more fame and political favor in Rome...for his already burgeoning political ambitions.

Nice catch, Justin!

Well put, HDRBbuilder... and I will be finishing out this year by working on the health issues before I hit the trail.

Justin, don't be so hard on yourself... there are plenty of folks who still didn't make the connection between Shakespeare's Forum line-up and three types of Forum denizens... Friends (those who lend a Klipsch thought... if not their ears!), Ruminants (those who chew on what's posted but rarely post themselves) and Contrarians (that great body of detractors that keep us honest).

And then, of course, there's cluless who can cover all the intellectual bases with her "clu" factor... and waste her detractors with a healthy dose of "less!"

Hmmm, was it BobG who responded to an early post of mine with... "You don't have to be young to be far out?" -HornED

Ed -

You spout far too many praises for the psychotic twins...especially when they were considering brewing up Their Christmas Confection Concoction Gifteroo for you..that would make the Insulin Shock Therapy look like ultra chocolate aroma therapy...A pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound+ of chocolate ...a pound+ of almonds....RESULT...CLULESS's special....

OK how about a personal limerick? a hand crocheted afgahn...NO NOT THE DOG...

Hmmm, cluless, as a former head shrinker... I like those psychotic twins.

And on the medical side, sugar is what rescues the patient in Insulin Shock Therapy after a massive dose of insulin has decimated the residual fuel supply... and, thus, coma is introduced. Although, to be effective your Christmas Sweet Somethings would have to be formulated for an I.V.

And its a yea, verily, on skipping the dog and curling up in the crochetery of it all. Now, you're sure this isn't just a yarn!

And, yes, Doc Holiday, by your standards I have indeed been unemployed for almost all of my life... and likely to stay that way. In effect the line about "If disadvantage come to a man he would be most wise to examine it as advantage in disquise." That kind of event took place this morning... and it seems that I have turned a potential $50k loss into a better than $100k gain... I'll know by tomorrow. And it didn't take much longer than the New York Times daily crossword to do.

Good thing I am not feeling well... so I am responding to the slings and arrows of everyday life with innovative approaches of simple elegance... rather than a full frontal assult that healthier times may have produced.

Hmm, I am going to take a Klipsch break. I bought the "StarWars II" DVD awhile ago and put in on last night. I must have been out of it because I fell asleep halfway into it. Maybe it's time to turn up the volume! -HornED