IEM Custom 3 wiring

Coytee

I bought these....probably in 2007.  I know I had them when we went to Europe in 2008...

They've been beat to snot and taken everything very well considering what I've done with them.

One ear finally gave out.  I discovered a spot in the kinked wire that if I jiggled it this way or that and pinched, the sound would come back.  So, I found my break quite by accident.

Just now clipped out the bad section and I see the red, blue and copper wires.

Here's sort of a group picture followed by each strand.  The triple strand is after I tried to dissect it and the other one is the mating end for it.

It appears as though each twisted strand is made up of "X" number of individually stranded wires and EACH wire (evidently) carries the signal.

I presumed they were wrapped around a main signal wire to each ear and so far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If that's correct that these are 20 individual strands, how would you reconnect then?  

I've got an idea about taking a wire brush on my dremel and seeing if that will scrape the ends, then I can maybe twist & solder them.

Otherwise I'm a bit out of ideas.

Don't want to pitch these yet if I can tinker and make them work.  I DO have a new pair, still in box, unopened from when they were discontinued so if I totally bugger these up, it's not going to set me back too far, I just won't have a spare pair then.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Oh, I'd still give it a shot.  After all, it mightn't be quite the definition of insanity yet to do so.  (you know, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result - just one more time...)

Stagger the cuts, abrade or melt (or dissolve) the coating, twist, solder, and wrap a splint into the splice might restore them.