Class Action vs. Bloomberg Campaign

Jeff Matthews

Here's another interesting story.   Plaintiff claims she and other class members were promised employment, including health insurance, by the campaign through November.  They were let go, in breach of their agreement, in March when Bloomberg terminated his candidacy.

How do you put these cases together when there is no written, integrated contract?  Not that this was necessarily the case, but I am betting there is not a provision in an integrated contract expressly promising this. So, imagine a typical lawyer's world of litigating contract disputes...

The campaign said it's hiring; it's providing insurance.  Bloomberg, in announcing his run for office, says,  "I'm taking this campaign all the way to the general election.  I'm going to win!"

Can you see how those words can come back at you?  I wonder what the court will do on this one.  

Edit:  "Puffery"

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

"I'm taking this campaign all the way to the general election.  I'm going to win!"

i can see how his prediction of winning can be viewed as something a reasonable person wouldn’t view as a promise; but, his statement of remaining in the race until the general election could be viewed as a promise. i think those folks had an expectation to be employed at least until the general election.

were these verbal promises then?

16 minutes ago, Randyh said:

end of contact

don’t we have to see the wording of the contract and all that it guarantees?  

i mean, the cynical me can say shame on them for believing him; but more shame on him for not honoring his word (if he in fact made these promises).

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

who can promise  to anyone that he can win , in an election , politics are cruel  , no judge will  lean towards a complaint based on that fact alone ,  could he promise to go all the way , sure ,  but was that real , or a politician trying to win support -     2 different things all together ?

legally, i don’t know. but, it would be nice if politicians were held to their word. 

you’re right, he couldn’t promise that he’d win ... but then i doubt they expected jobs once he was president. to me, it was all about him leaving the race early and laying everyone off. Then again, why would someone leave a career to work temporarily for a candidate? i wonder if more was implied to these people?