Microsofts list

rjb294

Dale,

Why not? I think XP is a great product. In fact, I have been running it for over a year now and I have never had a problem with it. Call it luck or whatever, but I think the OS is great. I know a lot of people that don't like it just because it is in a little different format than the typical windows systems, but that is what makes XP unique. It is compatible with any hardware you have in your machine. Granted, some of the old software may not run on it, but that is how MS makes money. Out with the old and in with the new. I was a computer major in college and work in the computer industry and XP is by far the best OS out there right now. A lot of campanies aren't upgrading yet, because it is so expensive, but you wait...they will all get there. Oh course by then MS withhave something even better than XP out, but I think that is a couple years down the road.

Try to learn all the different features of XP and try different hardware with it. I haven't seen anything that hasn't been compatible yet. Even most printers are compatible. My hat is off to MS on this OS. That is till I find something seriously wrong with it.

Just give it a chance and find out all the different features. XP has a lot to offer.

RJB

RJB: your probably right !!!

My wife has spent more time than me and she complains very little. My problems are more to do with running programs that won't work. Like games for our kids and a data becker home design kit i got last year. Need to spend some time downloading the patchs for these problem programs .

thanx dale

Windows XP sucks. PERIOD.

I've removed it from all my PC's. went back to Windows 2000 for my office machines and Win98 Rel 2 for gaming machines.

I have removed all my windows 2000 servers and have replaced them with Redhat. This winter I am replacing my office machines with Mandrake and Star office. My HTPC will also be mandrake.

Maybe I will consider Microsoft again once they can write a stable OS.

Remember Microsoft is not a software company, it is a marketing company.

Open source, thats the future. Microsoft knows that, why do you think they are fighting it so hard.

JM

I wouldn't say that XP was a bad operating system, just not a free one.

I've been running it for a year straight and can litterally count on one hand the number of times it crashed.

I also know why it crashed and it is my fault. It seems that my video card(ATI radeon 8500 64MB DDR dual out) did not like running two monitors at one time with an opengl game(Tribes2 or JK2) fullscreen on one monitor and the windows desktop still on the other. While that did not actually kill anything, it merely slowed things down a bit. When I paused the game and right clicked on the desktop to disable my extra monitor to free up resources, thats when I got the famous BSOD14.gif

Other than my video card not one thing has crashed my computer requiring a reboot.

My system is not that bad either though.

win XP professional

ATI radeon 8500 w/two 17" monitors

Tyan S2460 motherboard

Dual AMD 1.4Ghz processors

768MB registered ECC DDR SDRAM

And some other stuff that doesn't really make windows run faster or slower so it is irrelevant.

win XP does take some getting used to though, it seems to have a wizard for everything, not like the ol win NT4 I've got on my PII 233 or win 98SE on my PIII 750.

All legal copies by the way, not that I payed for them though, It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time2.gif

Lol I've propably got enough EMI in my place to scramble transmissions on mars.

Oh well time to get some sleep.

Peace, Josh

I Have the same exact setup. Dual monitors of a Radeon 8500, with WIndows XP and an AMD chip. I also have problems with Open GL based games. Not so much with the dual monitor bit, but i get these little dancing pixels across my screen in JK2 and GTA3. Really annoying. I've tried like a million things to fix it to no avail. Quite annoying. As far as XP i think its a decent OS. They could have done better, but i'm not complaining.

Stephen,

I had some problems early on with texture curruption(it looked like the worst .jpg ever)in opengl but subsequent driver versions seemed to fix it.

The anti aliasing also does funny things in some games, it makes the menus unuseable in the first Starsiege Tribes so I tend to leave AA off.

Peace, Josh

BOSOSOFT! ok, not really funnny now that your reading it, but when i thought of it, it was histerical(no i wasnt intoxicated). And if that dosent make you laugh, just think of an incredibly small emmu with a badgers' head, a Llamas' legs, and a saber toothed screaming lemur's tail. And if even that dosnt make you laugh, i suggest you find something particularly amusing and laugh your @$$ off. enjoy!

Microsoft or should I say Microslop.

Have you seen this bug yet? Its a big one.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/secur

ity/bulletin/MS02-065.asp

Basically anybody running IE 5 or 6, which is most of you I would bet, better get this patch. Cause at this moment, any hacker person, could get into any of your computers and run any command they want.

Its a Microslop feature I guess 1.gif

Its not that XP or any Microslop OS costs money. Its not secure. Don't get me started on its "Robustness". Remember that buzz word 1.gif

JM