What to use as center channel?

erikjohn

Origignally i was going to use the LaScalas as center channel but I am starting to wonder if I should use the Cornwalls for the center and use the LaScala's for the rears. I figured the laScalas would be the best match for the Khorns plus they do so well with the midrange sound which is a big part of center channel. But I am starting to think that the system overall would sound better with them on the rears.

I am so confused because the Cornawalls have better bass response so they would be better on the rear but the LaScala's I think sound better because of the folded horn but don't have as much bass. Damn, I hate these dilema's.

EJ 1.gif

Put the lascalas in the rear, if you dont like there reponse then update the network.

My k-horns are in front and lascalas rear and now i'm trying to find a single belle for the center.After my 511b mod i'm also going to look into updating my lascala networks.

Let me know if you go in this network direction maybe we could get a bunch built at the same time as i have friends that are also intrested.

Dale,

I think that is what I will do. I just really like the sound of the LaScala's and with them bing way in the back of the room up on the ceiling I think the great midbass punch from them will be much more effective than the cornwalls.

So the decision has been made, I think:

Khorn's-Mains

LaScala's-Surrounds

Cornwall's-Front and Rear Centers

Heresey's-Front Effects

Thanks, EJ

EJ

I like your ideas.

The only possible problem I see in using the CornW as a center is K600 squawker may be smaller sounding than the 401's in your Khorns. But as Dale points out, that could easily be remidied with a 511 or another K400-401 horn added to your Center system.

I found my HT really came alive when I added a K400 to my center. There is just so much midrange on the Center, matching it to the mains did the trick.

JM

I wrote Klipsch about this subject many years ago. Their letter to me recommended either the LaScala or Belle for the center channel use with Klipschorns due to their horn loaded bass (tonal balance of the speakers is more similar to K-horn) & lower thru center distortion.

Hey guy's i'm just going to throw this one out there for discusion.

I'm planing the same heritage center idea, but every mag article i've read about center channel speakers states that they are designed to ankor the sound to the screen.

do you think were getting away from this design point by useing such a large horn loaded speaker up front?

My CF-7 does have a horn mounted between the drivers but it's very small.

do we overload the center voicing and cancel out some of the mains by using such a sensitive center ?

I'm just thinking out loud here, any comments ???

NOZ: Are you looking for a lascala or belle for the center.

Maybe if we find a pair we can split them between us ??

I always come across lascalas in the paper but hardly ever find used belles for sale.

La sacalas sell used for $900.00 to $1400.00 canadian around here.

On Sunday I wired 80% of my new room for sound. It appears that my dilema has been solved by a doorway. I will have to put the Cornwalls on the rear channels and the LaScalas on the centers. There is a doorway that will be right underneath one of the rear speakers which will not allow the LaScala over it. I will have to put the Cornwall there on its side in order to maintain the headroom.

EJ