THX suggests monopole rears

ZDoug

I know there is a great deal of controversy about whether side and/or back surround speakers sound be monopole or dipole or even tripole. However, I just read that Thx is now recommending Monopoles for the 2 rear speakers for THX ULTRA 2 listening.

Can anyone confirm this? They still recommend 4 dipoles for Dolby EX and dipole sides for Dolby 5.1. This does not make sense does it. If so then you would need a speaker you could switch between Dipole/tripole or monopole depending on whether you were listening in the EX or Ultra 2 mode. 8.gif

I honestly don't give hoot what THX thinks. They think that the Audigy2 and the LogiTech Z-560 and the Altec 5.1's are tip top notch... Palease! (remember, creative owns so much of THX now... grrr)

Now home THX and esp. THX pro may be exempt from the jene sais que (sp)

I say for music, Monopole, for movies, dipole is just fine and dandy.

In all Honesty I think to be THX certified these days, all you have to have is something that has at least 1 button and lots of preety colors.... Serisouly those new monster cables that are like $25.00 that claim to be thx certified. Come on????!??!?!! my worst sounding piece of radio shack cable sounds better than that..... I don't know...... I used to really be a fan of THX but in the last couple of years or so they have just been slapping a certification on absolutley everything.... I think you should use whatever sounds better in your room. Every room is going to sound a lot different...... Therefore you should select the speakers that sound the best..... I mean in a small 10' by 10' room would anyone want to try and mount di or tripole speakers in there.... that size of a speaker may be a bit much.... I think speaker selection should be based on how you think it sounds and the acoustics of the rooom that they will be placed in.....

----------------

On 11/21/2002 9:55:38 AM j-malotky wrote:

THX ???????

Oh yes, the short clip before movies where the little guy flys arround your speakers. or makes the cow moos. Mildly entertaining. Just before my system switches into DTS to watch the movie.

JM

----------------

Giggle giggle, snort!9.gif

THX doesn't have anything to do with encoding or decoding or any of that. It simply defines a list of standards for Theaters and Home Theater products, and has more to do with Qaulity Control than anything else. In the beginning, it primarily had to do with standardization in movie theaters.

I do believe Lucas has gone a little coo-coo with the whole thing though. Just an example of another good idea taken to ridiculous extremes.

thx also has post-processing formats which can can be done after the decoding, whether dolby or dts. though they were developed w/ dolby in mind.

if thx has changed their rear surround, speaker type opinion, then its because of their new "advanced steering" capability in ultra 2.

that's just a reference. thx has always advised to have 2 rear surround speaks, & now apparently even more so w/ ultra 2 & this "advanced steering" (Bobg mentioned something about it in a previous thread).

but I hope you can tell I'm in no hurry to run out & get a 2nd rear surround or change the speaker type because of what thx says to do. 16.gif

you also have to keep dts in mind. they use a 6.1 speaker set-up & imho their 6.1 discrete makes a strong case for a direct speak in the rear surround (fly-over effects).

so obviously w/ all the variables there's no set answer except using your ears & tastes. demo w/ all your various material at home. 2.gif

----------------

Serisouly those new monster cables that are like $25.00 that claim to be thx certified. Come on????!??!?!! my worst sounding piece of radio shack cable sounds better than that..... ----------------

C'mon You're exaggerating a bit there.

----------------

Oh yes, the short clip before movies where the little guy flys arround your speakers. or makes the cow moos. Mildly entertaining. Just before my system switches into DTS to watch the movie.

----------------

THX is not a surround sound format in itself. You are not choosing to use DTS instead of THX.

That being said, I think you don't need to worry about the THX standard for Ultra2. Unless you are going to go out and buy THX approved curtains, furniture, wall hangings, etc. Oh, and rebuild your entire listening room to THX specifications. On the other hand, I would feel good about any purchase of THX certified equipment, so I don't know why it's necessary to knock it. As far as your question, which I don't think anyone has answered because they were too busy THX bashing, I think that the ULTRA2 spec. is a good one to follow. Monopoles for surround back, why would you want four dipoles? You might as well use two dipoles. The surround back speakers help to anchor the sound behind you, and give you more localization, instead of just being an ambient sound all around you. Also Ultra2 is for music as well as movies, which is different from the past. Lastly, I'm not sure there ever was a specification for Mono vs. Dipoles in the original surround EX specs.