DVD player ?(Kind of long)

Fordman

Im looking for a new DVD player and would like to find a pretty decent one(500.00 or less)but Im not sure which one.I posted a topic called "Higher end DVD" and was wondering about the Pioneer Elite DV-37.After further research I not even sure how good this is.Alot of people say its not that good.When we all buy recievers,subs,and speakers we know what specs to look for and alot of times know what we're going to buy before we get to the store.What about DVD's?What makes a good one from a great one?Its hard to find higher end DVD players.Its hard to find one for over 200.00.Im sure all models in that category are pretty much the same.Im looking for awesome video.I almost never use my DVD for music CD's.I also dont care about SACD.I currently have a Zenith unit(149.99)Thats pretty decent,here are some of the specs.

10 Bit 27mhz

Audio 96 khz 24 bit

I dont know if this is good or bad ,but are these the numbers that determine the quality of the video and audio.The reason for the questions is that I feel that after all the upgrades to my system Im kind of lacking in this dept.

I need some recomendations for a good unit.Thanks in advance!!

I am a big Denon fan. I have heard that for the money (about $400 to $500) the 1600 (single disc unit) is hard to beat. I was interested in the 3800 and the salesman, a hardcore fanatic, kept steering me toward the 1600, saying that for the $$, it could not be beat. It is progressive scan, with all of the bells and whistles, but unlike lower models, does not use Panasonic guts.

He said that the 3800 was overpriced for what it does, and the top of the line unit is awesome, but at $3K+, kind of excessive.

Sorry that I cannot help you on the technical side, but I am just getting into video after playing with audio for 15 years.

Chris

Philips just released the DVD963SA. It has NO chroma bug, awesome picture quality (its chip is capable of outputing 720p!), awesome sound quality, and all for...$400! I would seriously look into this DVD player. The AVS Forum has a huge thread about this DVD player, I recommend reading it. Oh, and this DVD player also does SACD.

I have the Denon 1600, and man this thing rocks! Great picture, great sound, does all the current formats, DVD Audio, SACD, HDCD, etc etc.

Retails for $499, can be had for less.

Only down side is that it only have one digital out for audio, and that's an Optical cable, no coax. I had a nice coax cable with my last players, and I had to go buy a Optical cable for this player.

I recommend the 1600, great buy and a great player!

----------------

On 11/23/2002 10:31:38 PM Orange Peel wrote:

I thought it did, I will have to check that out. I know it does HDCD.

----------------

Actually, it doesn't have HDCD either.

Great player nonetheless. I've had mine for almost two months now.