PIONEER ELITE VSX 49txi

Bruinsrme

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pioneer 49TXi has features that are not available on any other receiver. It all boils down to whether you want automatic acoustic calibration and firewire. IMHO, MCACC (automatic calibration) is a killer feature; it is why I caughed up the money.

Correcting for room acoustics can produce a major improvement in sound quality. Otherwise, you buy an equilizer and pay a technician to do it. If you reposition your speakers, you would need to have it redone.

The 49's MCACC calibration is better than any other Pioneer; it has nine bands of equalization and its own 32 bit microprocessor so that the user can tweak it manually or use Pioneer's EQ or no EQ.

Firewire with the DV-47Ai allows proper bass management on all SACDs and non-copy protected DVD-As. The 49TXi's DACs do the digital to analog conversion; they are Burr-Brown 1704s which are the best (most expensive) Burr-Brown offers.

Avoiding ADC for bass management then DAC lowers the noise floor 10 db by just converting once.

I compared Onkyo's best DACs from 10 years ago to the 49TX. The 49 was much better for decoding all CDs IMO.

If you cannot tell, I love my 49TXi. IMO it is 3 times better than any previous receiver that I have owned.

Bill

I'd say, sure, it's worth it. If the money is not a problem, then go for it. The big Pioneer and the top-O-the-line Denon 5803 are the state of the art in A/V receivers, IMO. I'd buy one of the two in a New York minute if the price tag was not out of my range. I'm just hoping their digital input for DVD-A and SACD feature will soon be incorporated in more affordable receivers.

At this price range I've been looking at pre/pro + amp combos instead of a receiver. Other than the space saving benefit of having one box, what are the benefits of these high-end receivers over two boxes in this range by Rotel, Adcom, Outlaw, etc.?

At the moment I'm focused on using an Outlaw 1050 which seems to have plenty of power for HT and restoring a Dynaco ST70 tube amp and PAS 3 pre-amp for 2-channel audio. Even with all three of these units (2 tubes + 1 SS AVR) I'm still under $1000 in expense.

In conclusion, I wonder how big of an improvement $3k in electronics would make over the sub $1k receiver using either a receiver or pre/pro + amp combo?

IMO the only advantage that separates have over the 49TXi is in the ampliflier. I have yet to hear a separate pre/pro that can come close to the 49TXi until you are into something on the level of the Lexicon or Meridian.

The amps on the Pioneer are quiet and put out an honest 120+ wpc all channels driven. Pioneer only recommends 6 to 16 Ohm speakers; 4 ohm is not recommended. Separates usually handle 4 Ohm speakers with ease.

Bill

I have found several receivers that I am interested in that are less expensive and probably equal in quality. The Pioneer VSX-49txi came in at less than $2700. I think I am a little bit crazy for spending that much but I purchased an Onkyo DS-797 and the decoding on the unit is noticable lousy.

I did look at the Rotel's online. For me to audition them it would have required a day off of work and a trip into the Boston area. I have had the opportunity to listen to the Pioneer with the DS-47a and the Reference 7 set-up. I was impressed and the sound was unbelievably better than the exisitng Onkyo.

I have heard many good things regarding Rotel from the posts but the inconvenience of an audition and the limited number of resellers somewhat detered my from including them in my decision.

Thank you for your feed back and have a happy and safe holiday season.

Scott

----------------

On 11/28/2002 7:50:31 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

At this price range I've been looking at pre/pro + amp combos instead of a receiver. Other than the space saving benefit of having one box, what are the benefits of these high-end receivers over two boxes in this range by Rotel, Adcom, Outlaw, etc.?

----------------

At this price range you will kick yourself if you go integrated. Trust me. I did this with the Denon 4802. It lasted less than three months before I had to get rid of it.

If seperates is in your budget, then don't even bother with integrated.

ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU SANTA!!!

The sound from the 49txi is unreal.

The center channel is so much clearer, crisper, and life like than the Onkyo.

The 49txi came in at $2826, about 75 clams more than the cheapest price I found. The company I dealt with gave me a delivery date before I hung up the phone, 2 business days later it was here.

I can't wait to play and tune the unit in.

Happy Holidays,

Scott

Congrats on the killer receiver. Santa must have gotten an early start.

Someday I would like to hear the difference betwen $3k of electronics any my Outlaw 1050. I've been pretty happy with the movie sound but more critical of 2-channel so I'm restoring a vintage Dynaco tube amp to hear my Cornwalls with tube amp and pre-amp. I bought four new matching output tubes and all new audiophile signal caps. Setting bias, checking connections, etc. I look forward to hearing it vs the Outlaw. The next test would be to compare the tubes to $3k of SS.

I've heard the Elite power an RF7 theatre (6th Sense) but never heritage speakers.

Let us know more about the improvements as you begin to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I was reviewing one of my post ans I wanted to let you know that the Elite 49txi and DV 47ai is an unbelievable combo. The two units together provide a sound and picture quality that can't be beat for the price. there is a HUGE difference from the Onkyo DS-797 and Onkyo dvd player. The pioneer sound is crisp clear and the discretes are processed far more distinctly that the Onkyo units.

With this new set up if I didn't know any better I'ld swear that some one replaced my entire speaker system while I was in Florida last week.

Happy Holidays

Scott

well, i have been saving for the 45tx while being in between receivers for 6 months, so ANY receiver is going to sound good. but recently i have been reading more and more about the 49tx and txi and thinking i might want to save up a bit more. i am completely pleased with my panny rp91, so no desire to pick up the pio dvd/sacd player. the "old" tx model would suffice - understatement. just curious if anyone can make a comparison - not that there is any really - between these receivers. i'm growing less patient with my non-surround invironment, but if it realy is worth it then i may just wait. thanks

david

I too am planning on purchasing a newer receiver in the next few weeks and I am comparing everything back to the Pioneer VSX-49TX. It sure seems that its one of the top receivers. I have purchased a Pioneer VSX-29TX a few years ago and the unit works very good but I like some of the newer features on the VSX-49TX. The other receivers I am reviewing are the B&K, Denon and Harman-Kardon. I have Klipsch RC-7, RB-5 and RS-7 speakers and a Sunfire Signature subwoofer. One of the most important features to me is the lower crossover frequency down to 50 HZ. This will help in the Small vs. Large speaker settings. Has anyone found a good price for the VSX-49TX and where?

mrt get the VSX 47TX ,You are getting the same receiver minus below .

2 extra assignable digital inputs,

1 audio/video input.

1 S video input and output.

If you want to spend the extra big bucks for the above features thats up to you.Concerning price if you live in ontario let me know if your interested in a New 47tx.Go get your best price on one and then come back to see me.