PIONEER ELITE VSX 49txi

Bruinsrme

The Sunfire looks awesome but I would be throwing away even more money for features I know I would not use due to the size of my HT. It does have some features that look interesting but I know I would not use in My HT.

There are many more pieces of HT that surpass the pioneer in performance, power, and features so I had to draw the line somewhere.

Not sure about how clean the Sunfire amp is????????????............

If I waited until next year I probably would have purchased something else.

In all honesty the 49txi is WAY to much receiver for my needs today and years to come. The thing that turned me on to the Pioneer was the 1394 400MB/s connections and the ease of the setup.

I was also able to purchase the receiver and pioneer dvd player for significantly less than the the retail price of the receiver alone.

I do appreciate the feedback and the pleasure of seeing another great receiver.

Thank you for reading the post and taking the time to reply.

Scott

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just ordered the Pioneer VSX-49TXi today; it will be in a few days. I can't wait till it arrives; I went and spent the extra money for the 49TXi. It should be here by the weekend. Ill let you know what I think.

Thanks to all of you guys for your advice.

Klipsch Collection:

RC-7

RB-5

RS-7

Sunfire Signature Sub

CONGRATS mrt. You are going to be amazed at this unit. For being one of the most advance AV receivers the setup is unbelievably easy.

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL the receiver really does weigh 65 pounds.

Can't wait to hear your review......

Scott

Check out this bulletin board there is some useful info there.

http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24

It is good to see so many happy Pioneer owners!!! Pioneer

seems to work very well with Klipsch.

I recently upgraded from the 49TX to the 49TXi for the firewire port. I was surprised to hear better sound. As near as I can tell, Pioneer has tweaked the DACs.

Bill

Well it just arrived last weekend; I upgraded from my older Pioneer Elite 29TX to the 49TXi. All I have to say is 'wow, is this thing awesome!! The sound quality is crystal clear in all modes. Big improvement from my older model. Great remote easy to use and understand. The chassis is very well made; inside very clean design no unused space. Very big power supply and so is the captors. New heat sinks are used to get unit cooled. I love the looks and the build of this unit. The MCACC feature was amazing for setting up my home theater. I think this one will be in my reference system for sometime. The weight of this unit is about 65 lbs; its a beast. It wasnt easy placing this thing on top of my Toshiba TV (TW56X81). I do not think my Klipsch speakers (RC-7, RB-5, and RS-7) and Sunfire Signature subwoofer have ever sounded so good. I only have the 5.1 setup for now, but I will be upgrading to the 6.1 or 7.1 setup soon. The 49TXi is one solidly built, serious piece of equipment! Bravo Pioneer!!

Congrats,

Glad to hear you like your purchase. Wait til you fine tune the 49txi. I can't get enough of mine.

I recently developed a dual ear infection so I haven't been able to listen to mine. I think this is the first time I have taken the meds the doc game me, on time and as prescribed.

Good luck

Scott

Being a former submariner one of the first movies I purchased was Das Boot the directors cut. The first HT receiver I purchased was the Onkyo DS-797. The specs were acceptable for my usage, so I thought. From day one I was questioning the performance of the unit. I exercised the 3 30 day in home trials of Cambridge Sound, JBLs and finally klipsch. Though the Klipsch sounded the best still not what I had hoped.

The surround affects did not impress me and the sound seemed sloppy. Sloppy transitions from front to rear or left and right, meaning it was more cutout than a transition.

After my accident the receiver was dented. fortunately I had a connection and was able to get the receiver replaced. Shortly after reconnecting the new Onkyo it was disconnected I sold it, told my wife I had to send the unit back again for repair. The next day the Pioneer 49txi showed up. She did note it looked different so I told her they upgraded because they did not have a refurb to exchange.

Well, after the 49txi was all hooked up I was shocked. The sound was incredible, my sweetie also noticed the sound quality. I played Das Boot and it was a totally different movie. The 49 handled the discrete so much better. No cutouts, nice transitions, and I actually got up to check the sink but it was the water in the movie, far more prominent than with the Onkyo.

Seperates were not in my plans and many have told me I made a mistake paying $2600, from an authorized dealer, for a "receiver". I am happy, estatic, with my decision.

The Klipschs sound awesome, the sound is incredible, and most of all it has to be the easiest receiver to use.

I would Highly recommend this receiver, if you have the $$$$$$, to any one.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

bruinsrme

I think I am going to go the 49txi and 47ai route. I do see several posts regarding the "should have gone seperates" but what in the price range could match? Outlaw? I don't think so. Rotel? I didn't care for really, and it seems already far behind in features. The only thing else I could get in the price range would be the Sunfire TGIII and amp, but there are alot of complaints about the noise floor, and Carver doesn't adhere to any of the conventional formats. I like THX and without it my RC7 can get really bright in some scenes. The re-eq is supposed to limit this. I also have some room characteristics that need help and can see the 49 eq'ing coming in handy.

Any of you guys got any comments on the 47ai and the chroma bug? Seen it and if so is it bad? I have the Panny rp82 and 91 but want a picture with more in depth color saturation. Maybe to look more like HDTV!

thoughts?

andy

In regards to the chroma bug I am missing something. A number of HT'er have posted personal reviews of the 47ai and have complained of the chroma bug. I have not noticed anything but then again I do not go frame by frame looking for such defects. I have watched well over 20 movies with friends and family with no complaints about picture quality.

I wonder what I would have to do to see the "bug".

I've found that picture flaws are more noticable once you know what to look for so I wouldn't take the time to do that...Some happy owners were alerted to the bug and now it "bugs" them. Others don't see it as a big deal. One example where the bug is pretty clear is on the menu page of Toy Story...but I really don't care about menu pages.

For those that already own the units, I would ignore the issue. For those of us shopping, I'm hoping new players start to address it and also have dual DVD-A and SACD which I like about the Pioneer. There are several new competitors coming out now thow in the $1k range.

I've been happy with my sub $500 Outlaw 1050 but pondering the advantages of $2600 of electronics. I saw the Pioneer today for $4k (and heard it w/RF7's) so if they are available at $2600 then it becomes very interesting but probably not justify for my budget.

I was curious why the Outlaw 950/770 at $2500 wouldn't be an option. Is it because of the unique features of the Elite? All I've read about the Outlaw is that it's a great value for the price...950 and 770.

My current perception is that the 1050 is enough for movies and for music the tube route seems to be where I want to invest my cash...I'm more critical of music than movies. I can do both for less than one high dollar SS HT stack but then I've never heard my sytem with a nice AVR and that ELITE sure has a lot of great features and sounded great w/RF7's. I'm sure one benefit would be better sound in the higher sound levels.

As far as the Outlaw, I don't want a great value, I want a good piece.The technology in the Pioneer is far superior to the Outlaw or Rotel and many of other pieces. It even has two of the latest Motorola chips for processing. Now the amp section has been complained about for shutdown, but I have also read independant reviews stating that the low noise floor is remarkable. You'll never read that about Outlaw. I also listened to the Rotel 1066 when it first came out. It was good but by no means stellar,and it was behind in features when it hit the street. I want the Anthem but it cannot be found cheap anyplace. It has some glowing reviews for H/t but also some mediocre ones in reference to two channel.The Pioneer is pretty stellar in H/T and carries top of the line DAC's,processors and is very well built. I have considered the H/K8000, but look at all the problems. Poor build quality,ugly and a cheap plastic volume knob with a rubber ring. I wish they had done a better job on the 8000, it would be a great piece. The Sunfires? As long as a higher noise floor doesn't bother you. What to buy?(shaking head with credit card in hand)15.gif

the pioneer 49txi is an awsome piece. i was considering this receiver before i bought my b&k avr-507. the processing and build quality is amazing. alot of times pioneer goes unrecognized when compared to other receiver companies. i used to own the pioneer 37tx receiver and it was an awesome receiver. very clean sound and not alot of used dsp modes. i was seriously considering the 49txi. nearly two months ago the dvd forum adopted the firwire port as the new standard for passing dvd audio and super audio cd. i'm glad someone is ahead in the game. i'm sure you'll see everyone else supporting this port next year. as for the chroma bug. i read the whole review on the chroma bug. i currently have the dv-37 pioneer player(the worst in the shootout) and i can see the bug, it's nothing major, unless you have a front projector setup. on my 53" pioneer it doesn't bother me. that is for the reviewers who are very nit picky. if you are going to be using klipsch speakers i would consider the pioneer the re-eq thx processing makes a big difference with film material. IMO.

The Elite appears to be a great package...same chipset as the expensive Anthem pre/pro and lot's of state-of-the art features.

It appears you clearly like the Motorola chipset better than the Cirrus found in the 950 and Rotel. The delta seems to be a debate usually around comparing the 950 to the Anthem which is notably more expensive--certainly the amount of delta becomes a question. The Elite takes the big price delta out of the equation.

The "blue dot" 950 has improved the noise floor on the Outlaw which makes the 950 worth revisiting on that issue.

I guess in sum the question is how much value does one put on separates which allow the amp to be applied to the next big improvement in pre/pro vs the benefits of the Motorola chipset, the calibration and video upconverting features.

I'm going to learn more about the Elite's features and some of the upgradeability features.

I guess the other question is how bad do I want to upgrade to a $2500 solution and how big of a delta will I get with our effecient horns.

Thanks for the insight.

I read somewhere that the Denon 5803 has 16 burr-brown DACs, 2 per channel. On the Pioneer website, it just says "all channel burr brown DACs". That seems to be the only difference, but I was wondering if you guys knew anything about it? after reading this thread, it seems everyone loves Pioneer. I'm definitely narrowing it down between the two, but I'm wondering which is better for me? The Pioneer is more expensive, but has less inputs compared to the denon. But it also has MCACC which Denon doesnt. Denon has 16 DACs, which I think is gonna be awesome for sound processing, what does Pioneer have? Denon has dual sharc 32 processors, Pioneer doesnt list its features on their website very well. Please help me decide. I cant find any reviews that compare them directly

Ou8thisSN

As I ahve said I love my pioneer 49txi. I dealt with a gentleman named Josh and he quoated me a great authorized price. If you are patient and don't mind delaing over the internet and saving at least a $1000 then drop him a line buy visiting his website www.docdvd.com

Also visit this website where is discusses flagship receivers. Pionner http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24

Denon http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24

But if you are interested in either give Josh a ring