DTS / DVD's

MrZX9R

What's the deal with no DTS on DVD's that list it on the DVD packaging?

Allow me to explain. My bestest buddy Tom just dropped off his RS 3's for me to use for a few weeks/months... He is temporarily up in an apartment and has got another set of Klipsch's he's using right now. (Great guy, eh?)

I'm in the middle of building my Klipsch reference system and this is the first time I've had rear speakers to use so I'm having a field day enjoying the new surround effects and trying to get everything set up right in the receiver.

I went through our DVD collection and put aside all discs with DTS audio. BUT, when I was going through them last night, just sampling favorite scenes, a few of them that said DTS on the package did NOT have any audio setup options in the menus and automatically defaulted to 5.1 surround. (There was no DTS identified on either the DVD player or the receiver). Two of these movies that had it on the package were "The mummy, ultimate edition" and "the fast and the furious", both Universal releases. (the fast and the furious is lame, but I bought it before I saw it).

Also, interestingly enough, on these DVD's, the DTS logo appears in a chart on the bottom of the DVD back cover, where there is language info, the audio available, screen formats and captions. Seeing it here, I assumed that the DVD had the DTS encoding. This looks like a Universal Studios thing, judging by what I am seeing on the DVD's. Is it just listed on this chart as a default in their packaging, or what? I was obviously dissapointed when I found out these movies didn't really have it. How do I know that they do when I buy new movies if the information on them is so vague? Some say they have DTS clearly, others its a guess either way. I asked Tom, and he's seen the same thing, but didn't know why either.

Thoughts?

John

Yamaha RX-V800

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD/CD

Sony 36" WEGA Trinitron

RC3 11 center

Yamaha NS-77 mains (to be soon replaced by klipsch's)

RS 3 rears (thanks Tom!)

Paradigm PS1000 sub

Dedicated home theatre room built, wired and waiting! (wife gets her new living room set before I get that furniture for upstairs!)

----------------

On 12/2/2002 11:46:39 AM synthfreek wrote:

And you searched under the "Language Options" menu correct(on the DVD menu that is)?

----------------

HA! Found it! I was obviously confused when I didn't see an "options" or "setup/ audio" menu. It's under "Languages" - how diabolical!

Thanks!

If it loads straight to the menu go to "Scene Selection". If it doesn't and goes straight into the trailers and FBI warnings you're usually screwed. Some companies don't even let you hit FF to skip through, so consider yourself lucky there. Some(like the almighty, why can't all DVD companies be like Anchor Bay) let you skip opening stuff. Always look under Language for DTS. Sounds good huh?

----------------

On 12/2/2002 12:26:06 PM synthfreek wrote:

If it loads straight to the menu go to "Scene Selection". If it doesn't and goes straight into the trailers and FBI warnings you're usually screwed. Some companies don't even let you hit FF to skip through, so consider yourself lucky there. Some(like the almighty, why can't all DVD companies be like Anchor Bay) let you skip opening stuff. Always look under Language for DTS. Sounds good huh?

----------------

The Disney stuff (like Monsters Inc and the Toy Story movies) seems to be among the worst for the forced advertising. It comes up everytime/all the time and you just have to keep fast forwarding through tons of it. Its ridiculous that you have to endure the ads when you PAID for the movie. The new Spiderman is cool- you have to actually go to the bonus material section to preview/ view the ads.

thanks again!

----------------

On 12/2/2002 12:51:40 PM MrZX9R wrote:

The Disney stuff (like Monsters Inc and the Toy Story movies) seems to be among the worst for the forced advertising. It comes up everytime/all the time and you just have to keep fast forwarding through tons of it. Its ridiculous that you have to endure the ads when you PAID for the movie. The new Spiderman is cool- you have to actually go to the bonus material section to preview/ view the ads.

thanks again!

----------------

Yep, Disney is the worst, but I believe if you just hit the menu button on your remote, it should bring you right to the menu and skip past the trailers. It wont do this for the FBI warnings, but I belive it will does work for the trailers.

What's really ridiculous about those trailers is that they're produced as if the movie they're previewing isn't out yet. If they're gonna put that crap on the DVD, they ought to at least update the trailer.

Hey John...like those RS-3's, eh? Remember - we offer the easy payment plan. 11.gif

WHAP! WHAP! WHAP! 14.gif

Ouch....Wendi, I was just joking. I know, I know - you get furniture before John gets more gear. 1.gif

Tom Adams

since that was sorted out, i have another complaint about DTS. every movie preview i have seen has a DTS logo yet on the DVD they don't have the option. a perfect example is STAR WARS episode 2. if you actually watch the credits you will see the DTS logo at the end of them. yet it is not included on the DVD. why would they have the logo in the credits but not offer it on the DVD.

----------------

On 12/4/2002 4:08:30 PM seventeenmonkeys wrote:

since that was sorted out, i have another complaint about DTS. every movie preview i have seen has a DTS logo yet on the DVD they don't have the option. a perfect example is STAR WARS episode 2. if you actually watch the credits you will see the DTS logo at the end of them. yet it is not included on the DVD. why would they have the logo in the credits but not offer it on the DVD.

----------------

Doesn't Lucas own THX or isn't he at least in bed with them? I don't think we'll ever see him use DTS on one of his movies.

I thought DTS stood for Digital Theater Sound or something like that. A LOT of movies are released at the theater with a DTS soundtrack. When the film is transfered to DVD and it doesn't have that option what are they to do? Refilm the credits just to eliminate the DTS logo?

----------------

On 12/4/2002 8:31:38 PM synthfreek wrote:

I thought DTS stood for Digital Theater Sound or something like that. A LOT of movies are released at the theater with a DTS soundtrack. When the film is transfered to DVD and it doesn't have that option what are they to do? Refilm the credits just to eliminate the DTS logo?

----------------

I think you are right.

From DTS online @ http://www.dtsonline.com/

1. What is the main difference between DTS and Dolby Digital?

Dolby uses more compression than DTS. Dolby Digital sounds good, but DTS delivers all the clarity and dynamics of the original master soundtrack.

2. Why dont all DVD releases include DTS soundtracks?

DTS specializes in master quality 5.1 soundtracks, while many DVD titles offered only have mono or stereo soundtracks so they cant really utilize the superior DTS 5.1 audio format. And until recently, many studios were focused only on video extras, and were unaware of the strong consumer interest in master quality sound. However, DTS 5.1 soundtracks are becoming widely recognized as a valuable premium quality soundtrack option and many new releases will offer this exciting value-added feature.

Reading more on the site, I guess that all theatres do run movies in DTS, but, like it says, until recently, most consumers were more interested in the bonus junk that came on the DVD. Its just us klipsch people that are more interested in having the sound as it was originally recorded.

BTW- that site has lists of all movies and music discs recorded in DTS. Its a pretty cool reference.

well if they are realizing that people want DTS it sure isn't showing. look at the big movies with great special effects that do not have a DTS soundtrack. Spiderman, ATOC, FOTR (first DVD). i think it has more to do with all the space it wastes on the DVD more than anything else. but they should definitely add it even if it means cutting those extras nobody watches anyways.

I agree many studios waste too much space on bonus materials. I like bonus stuff,but much of it anymore is stupid. If the studio's compression company handles it well, you can have both DD & DTS,along with bonus features. Commentaries are another thing. I have never listened to one. And Foreign language tracks. WHY?! If we are buying a region 1 DVD,which is North America & Canada, why do we need these other languages? ABSOLUTE WASTE!! IMHO

I did not buy Spiderman. Hopefully Columbia Tristar will add it to there Superbit line as well. 20th Century Fox is also hit & miss. They release some in DTS and some not. Paramount has not released any yet. But their DD tracks are very well done. The specs on Paramount's K-19:Widowmaker lists it as DTS. If it's not a misprint, this will be their first DTS disc.

Some studios say they don't have the space. Which is a load of crap. They are just too cheap to add it. The DVD format is amazing for how much can be put on a disc. Perfect example is T2:Ultimate DVD. 3 versions of film, DD & DTS, plus loads of bonus materials. All on ONE disc!!

Studios need to take a lesson from this release!

K-19 is not DTS. Almost Every movie has DTS in the theatrical release, only a few get released on dvd with dts track. THX has nothing to do with wheter a DVD is dts or not. DTS stands for Digital Theater SYSTEMS, not "Sound." Yes, it is VERY disappointing that all these movies are released with two discs worth of crap, but no DTS soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reason that you see the dts logo on the screen credits but not on the audio options is that major DVD buyers like Blockbusters often negotiate lower prices by not having to pay dts royalties on the discs they buy. So people who buy new releases or previously viewed DVD's from Blockbuster, Hollywood, etc. often do not have the dts versions... and the dts logo is not on the packaging. Blockbuster claims that its customers prefer having the extra goodies to the dts tracks.

For that reason, I always make a positive remark about dts whenever I maike a purchase or rental at a national chain... particularly if its to a manager.

Dolby has a "White Paper" on their web site which claims that, despite its higher compaction, that its output is equal or, in some cases, better than dts... some reviewers claim dts is only marginally better than Dolby's best... but for my money (and my ears) dts is a clear buying preference! However, I have been known to buy marginal movies at low previously-viewed prices and no dts. But, I will gladly pay more for a great movie with dts... it just seems to have a more natural sound whether its on Legends or Heritage. =HornEd

I was a Hollywood Video manager for several years and can tell you from personal experience that the rentals/pre-viewed DVDs in our store were EXACTLY the same as ones for sale anywhere else. They were NOT ones made special for us without DTS options/etc. I opened them up myself from shrinkwrap and made them "rental ready". This must be some Blockbuster thing.